CSU-Pueblo’s softball team splits with UCCS

Colorado State University-Pueblo’s softball team split with the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs Mountain Lions. The teams played two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday in which the Thunderwolves won two games and lost two games.

2016 CSU-Pueblo Softball | Photo Courtesy of http://gothunderwolves.com/sports/sball/2015-16/roster

The first game the ladies played, they won 2-0 a dominant pitching performance. The star was Hope Davalos, a redshirt-freshman No. 18, who pitched a shutout in all seven innings. Davalos also had six strikeouts in Davalos’ first shutout all season.

“It was crazy,” Davalos said, describing her first shutout.

One run was scored in the bottom of the first when Dora Hernandez, RF No. 7, hit an RBI double to score a waiting Moriah Turney, 2B No. 17. The other run was scored when the Mountain Lions’ second basemen committed an error allowing Turney, who was on first because of a hit into RF, to score.

Game two was close but the Thunderwolves came up a little short losing 4-3 to the Mountain Lions. The game was highlighted by the attempt at a comeback as the Thunderwolves scored two runs in the seventh-inning, the other run was scored in the sixth inning.

The comeback started in the sixthiinning when Vivian Ledesma, SS No. 9, hit a double to right field while Turney was on first, because she was hit by a pitch, allowing Turney to score.

The comeback picked up in the seventh, with two outs, when Shelby Bennett, LF No. 3, hit a double allowing a runner on second to score. Turney then singled, allowing Bennett to score but the next batter hit a pop fly to end the game.

The pitching momentum did not carry into this game as the pack pitchers allowed 10 hits which resulted in the four runs for the Mountain Lions. One of those runs was a home run in the top of the fourth.

The third game the Thunderwolves won 5-1 on the back of a dominant performance by Bennett.

Bennett went 2 for 3 with 4 RBI’s and two runs scored. In her first appearance at the plate, Bennett hit a double that brought in two runs. Bennett also hit a homerun in the fourth with a runner on base.

Davalos was on the mound for this game and she performed. She only allowed one run on four hits with a strikeout while pitching the whole game.

The bottom of the second-inning was when three of the five runs were scored. Two of those runs were scored because of the three errors committed by the Mountain Lions in this inning. Two of those errors were on one play and all three errors were committed by the 3B for the Mountain Lions.

The fourth game was a battle of pitching between the two teams until Davalos allowed three runs on five hits in the sixth-inning. For the first five innings, there were only six hits between the two teams.

The Thunderwolves had the bases loaded in the bottom of the sixth but could not score. The pack also left one runner on second in seventh inning but could not capitalize.

This brings the Thunderwolves record to 5-18 with their next game on March 12 at 10 a.m. vs. Metropolitan State University of Denver.