Pack softball could not keep up

2016 CSU-Pueblo Softball | Photo Courtesy of http://gothunderwolves.com/sports/sball/2015-16/roster

The Pack lost three of their four games this weekend largely for allowing too many hits. But its offense worked when it mattered most.

The team allowed a total of 42 hits which resulted to 28 runs in the four games played.

The first game remained scoreless for two innings until Metro State started an offensive rally in the top of the third. The rally lasted three innings and totaled three runs, six hits and seven runners left on base.

The Pack then started their rally in the bottom of the sixth and fell short in the seventh totaling two runs, four hits and two runners left on base.

Game two ended early in a devastating loss to Chadron State. The score was 11-2 and ended after the fifth inning.

Chadron State started strong by scoring three runs in the first inning, four in the second, two in the third and two in the fourth. Chadron State also had 10 total hits throughout the game.

One of the runs scored by the pack was in the first inning by Moriah Turney, 2B No. 17, off a sacrifice fly by Madison Wolfe, P No. 15. The other run was scored in the bottom of the third by Dora Hernandez, RF No. 7, off a double hit by Wolfe.

Game three was the only game that the Thunderwolves won and it was highlighted by pitching and defense.

Hope Davalos was the pitcher this game and only allowed three runs on eight hits, with the help of her defense. Davalos also had three strikeouts and pitched the entire game.

The Pack’s offense attacked when it mattered most. Down three to one in the bottom of the sixth, an offensive rally started by Lexie Martindale, DH No. 8, hitting a single into centerfield. From then on the pack had five hits scoring five runs putting the score at 6-2. The rally was highlighted by the two homeruns hit, one by Alyssa Ubrun, 3B No. 20, and one by Wolfe, which scored two other runners.

Chadron State tried to rally back in the seventh but was stopped after only scoring one run and end the game with the final score of 6-3.

Game four was a hit fest as the Thunderwolves fell to Metro State 11-7. There were a total of 27 hits by the two teams, 17 by Metro State leading to their 11 runs and 10 by CSU-Pueblo leading to their 7 runs.

The hits started rolling in for Metro State in the second inning when the roadrunners had three hits, scored two runs and left one on base. In the third inning the roadrunners added four runs on four hits with the help of two errors by the Thunderwolves.

The pack started their hits in the third and was highlighted by a home run by Vivian Ledesma, SS No. 9, with one on base.

The two teams battled until the end but the Thunderwolves could not complete the comeback and the final ended 11-7.

This brings the Thunderwolves record to 6-21 and will host Colorado Mesa University in a four game series starting on Saturday at noon.