Joseph: Packfest brings beats back to CSU Pueblo campus

Joey Bada$$ wows during Sept. 17 Packfest on the CSU Pueblo campus. The prolific artist headlined the return of the music festival. [Today photo/Brianna Sammons]

By Cassime Joseph
Special contributor to The Today

Questions and comments flew across the festival grounds. 

“This year’s Packfest is going to be lame.” 

“They did not sell enough tickets.”

“Who is JoeyBada$$?”

These are what some of the students said when it came to the Sept. 18 Packfest. Unexpectedly to the Pack, this music festival turned more than a few heads. 

The stage was set with DJ T-BeatZ on the one and twos (the DJ’s term for the turntables). From playing oldies, like Earth, Wind & Fire, to new music like Kanye and Drake, she took control of the early birds. DJ T-BeatZ has been hosting Packfest for the last three years. The concert started off bare, with a little more than 100 people. 

The first opener, Marzz, came on stage looking like one of the students. With her backpack on and her “Air Force Ones,” she killed it with her soulful vibes. The crowd started to grow, and she laid down her last soul tracks. 

In between the acts, DJ T-BeatZ would come on and play some more popular tunes. More people were coming into the concert as the sun started to set. 

His message was to spread love, a profound and unifying stance with the division in this day and age.

Marzz performs during the Sept. 17 Packfest on the CSU Pueblo campus. [Today photo/Brianna Sammons]

The next act the came to the stage was Fana Hues; she had a beautiful gray dress on and had a beautiful voice. It was sad that she did not command more attention from the crowd because it was her second time doing a show.

Fana Hues performs for fans during Packfest Sept. 17. [Today photo/Brianna Sammons]
More people started showing up toward the end of the night. The crowd’s energy became almost tangible at the stage, as DJ T-BeatZ played her last break. The crowd behind the general admission barrier grew rowdier by the second. Students were cheering JoeyBada$$’s name while one of the students broke through the general admission barrier into the VIP section. Everyone screamed when JoeyBada$$ came to the stage. 

The crowd knew songs from his first album, “1999,” and rocked with him with songs like “For My People” and “Temptation.” Bada$$ is a prolific artist whose top hits include “Devastated” and “Paper Trails.”

Before he left the stage, his message was to spread love, a profound and unifying stance with the division in this day and age. After the concert, Joey ran through the crowd showing appreciation, and he was even willing to answer questions. 

Joey Bada$$ plays to the crowd during Packfest 2021 on the CSU Pueblo campus. [Today photo/Brianna Sammons]
When asked how it felt to be doing a concert after the COVID-19 lockdown, Joey replied, with an impressed smile on his face, “It was amazing, and I was tired of being home.” Joey’s demeanor was laid back, confident but humble, and he had a New York swagger about him. 

Audience members hold up their cell phones in support of Joey Bada$$. Packfest returned to CSU pueblo campus on Sept. 17. [Today photo/Brianna Sammons]
When asked what kept the rockstar sane, he replied, “I do not drink or smoke no more, at the moment, you dig. Reading books … meditate, going to the spa [and] taking care of yourself.” 

With a smile, he walked with the crowd, which was following him begging for autographs.