Pack football tops rival in double OT thriller

Nigel Mitchell (4) and Elijah Reed (74) celebrate after Mitchell scores the Pack’s first touchdown, tying the game 10-10 to send play into O.T. [Today photo/Brianna Sammons]

Conference streak continues Oct. 9 in 42-17 road win over Chadron State

By Cal Neubert

Pack football finished in dramatic fashion Oct. 2 in a double-overtime win against rival Colorado Mesa University. The 19-13 win for the Thunderwolves puts them at 3-2 on the year and 3-0 in conference play.

A 42-17 win over Chadron State University boosted the record to 4-2 overall and a clean sweep in conference play. The Pack next takes the field at 1 p.m. Oct. 16 against New Mexico Highlands in Las Vegas, New Mexico.

The majority of the rivalry game was a defensive battle with the first points coming from a Pack field goal on the second possession. Then, Mesa responded with a field goal of their own to start the second quarter.

The second quarter was all Mesa as they capped off a 99-yard drive with a touchdown making the game 10-3 Mesa at halftime. 

The third quarter was back to being a defensive battle with not much happening from either team.

Then, with just 10 minutes left in the game, the Pack offense proceeded to hand the ball to senior wide receiver Nick Williams, who then threw the ball to the end zone where it was caught by sophomore wide receiver Nigel Mitchell. That would be the last score of regulation, and the game headed into overtime with a score of 10-10. 

Mesa then nailed a 42-yard field goal to hold a 13-10 advantage over the Pack. That lead did not last very long as the Thunderwolves answered with a field goal of their own to send it into double OT. 

In four plays, the Pack scored a touchdown, thanks to Williams, who caught a 17-yard pass and ended up in the endzone. The Mavericks tried to score a touchdown to extend overtime but the Thunderwolves defense stood strong, defeating Mesa 19-13.

Pack football will be back home at 2 p.m. on Oct. 23 for the homecoming game against Adams State University. 

Pack tight end Preston Guerra (9) gestures between plays during the Oct. 2 rivalry game against Colorado Mesa University at the CSU Pueblo ThunderDome. [Today photo/Brianna Sammons]