Lecture, book examine the power of food

Natasha Bowens Blair, author of ‘The Color of Food: Stories of Race, Resilience and Farming’ will deliver a virtual lecture and conduct a Q&A from 4 to 5 p.m. today in LARC room 109. [Courtesy photo]

By Bill Redmond-Palmer

It’s time to crack the pages, Wolfpack.

Wolves Read is a partnership with Colorado State University Fort Collins that encourages CSU Pueblo campus members to read together with them, and to host collaborative discussions centered around a single book. This year’s Campus Read is “The Color of Food: Stories of Race, Resilience, and Farming.”

A virtual lecture and live Q&A with visiting scholar and author Natasha Bowens Blair is slated for 4 to 5 p.m. today in LARC room 109. Free copies of the book are available at the university library’s circulation desk.

The book explores the issues of justice and inclusivity in the food justice movement, while amplifying the role of communities of color and challenging the history and status quo of agricultural identity. Through stories of farmers of color, The Color of Food teaches that the good food movement is about more than buying local and protecting our soil. It emphasizes that digging deep and discovering true food sovereignty means a place at the table for everyone.

Bowens Blair is a Black/bi-racial woman who lives on the farm she co-owns, Native Mountain Farm, in Boonsboro, Maryland. Along with her work as a farmer, she is an author and community activist. She has spent the last decade focusing on building empowerment and highlighting the importance of farming, food and storytelling in communities of color.

Beverages and snacks will be provided. RSVPs are not required.

For more information about this event, or for information about facilitating activities and discussions around this book in classrooms or student groups, contact Joelle Quigley at (719) 549-2527 or [email protected].

If you go
Who: Natasha Bowens Blair
What: A virtual lecture and Q&A related to ‘The Color of Food: Stories of Race, Resilience, and Farming’
When: 4 to 5 p.m. today
Where: LARC room 109
More information: Joelle Quigley at (719) 549-2527 or [email protected]