University celebrates the launch of Center for Integrated Health and Human Inquiry 

The Center for Integrated Health and Human Inquiry as seen from outside the building. [Courtesy Photo/Colorado State University Pueblo Marketing and Communications]
If you go
“No One Hears You Unless You Scream”
A theatrical presentation by the Colorado Arts and and Artists Associates and Art Academy at Pueblo County High School
When: 4:30 to 6 p.m. Friday
Where: Hoag Hall
For info, click here
“A Healing Art? The Intersection of Creative Writing, Personal Trauma and Social Justice”
An interactive presentation by Prof. Jonathan Alexander
When: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Monday
Where: GCB, Room 213

The Center for Integrated Health and Human Inquiry (CIHHI) at Colorado State University Pueblo is slated to kick off its launch through interdisciplinary programming and campus wide-initiatives.

Dorothy Heedt, senior lecturer in the Department of English and World Languages called the center a “collaborative hub that promotes innovative, interdisciplinary experiences and scientific inquiry.” Heedt is a co-director of the center.  

In a statement, she said the center is designed to promote human health and knowledge, while fostering collaborative learning spaces, “to support the growth and integration of nursing and health sciences, social sciences, and humanities through clinical practice, education, and research.”

In honor of the launch, the faculty-led and operated CIHHI Visioning Committee will host campus initiatives. Those include: 

• A theatrical presentation called “No One Hears You Unless You Scream.” The presentation by the Colorado Arts and Artists Associates and Art Academy at Pueblo County High School, is a take on suicide prevention, exploring the threats and pressures youths face every day. It is scheduled for 4:30 to 6 p.m. Friday. 
  • An interactive presentation by Prof. Jonathan Alexander called “A Healing Art? The Intersection of Creative Writing, Personal Trauma and Social Justice.” He  provides both personal and scholarly perspectives on the intersection of creative writing, emotional trauma, and possibly writing our way toward social justice. The event is slated for 3:30 p.m., and will wrap at 5 p.m. 

The first event will take place just a week after the passing of CIHHI Visionary Committee member and Clinical Education Coordinator of Athletic Training, Marie Pickerill.

Heedt called Pickerill: “integral to the CIHHI Visioning Committee from its inception in 2020. 

“We are still reeling and in shock at the news of her sudden death, we are also already feeling the tremendous loss,” she continued. “Our hearts go out to [Pickerill’s] family and all those who knew and worked with her.”

— Today staff reports

See related content: Fundraising kicks into OverDrive