• SOCO Student Media, the new home of The Today, Rev 89, and Digital Sandbox!

ASG to Host Bonfire This Friday

Holly Ward
A flyer advertising the upcoming ASG bonfire found on campus. Photo by Holly Ward.

Colorado State University Pueblo’s Associated Student Government is set to host the annual bonfire event this Friday, October 6, from 8–11 p.m.

The “Homecoming Weekend” event is free and is open to students and family members. The bonfire will take place in the dirt area to the right of the softball parking lot behind the softball fields on campus. 

“If you get there from 8-11, you’re going to see a really big fire, so that should be a good que as to where it’s at,” said Shannon Sheehan.

Sheehan is ASG’s Senator of STEM, and this year is her second year as a member of the student leadership organization. She is one of the two chairs for the bonfire committee, the other being Jesse Vido.

There will be a large bonfire in the center with 11 fire pits surrounding it. People can roast s’mores within the smaller surrounding fire pits. 

“There will be a lot of things to do,” Sheehan said.

Attendees can expect s’mores, hot cocoa, face paint, glowsticks, and games, including Corn Hole and Connect Four. The food and drinks will only be available until 10:30 p.m. People are encouraged to dress in flannel for the theme.

The university’s band, cheer, and dance teams are set to perform at the event at 8:30 p.m. 

“For safety purposes, we do have a fire truck in the back. They’ll be putting the palettes in the fire pit so they can control it, but also to have them by for any emergencies if needed,” Sheehan said.

ASG worked with the Student Engagement and Leadership team to organize and plan the event. Vido is also a member of SEAL as well as ASG. Brianna Sammons works for marketing within SEAL and helped make flyers for the bonfire event, which can be seen around campus, especially in the Occhiato Student Center, where the ASG and SEAL offices are located. 

“Come hang out, bring your family, and have a good time,” Sheehan said.