• SOCO Student Media, the new home of The Today, Rev 89, and Digital Sandbox!

Fall Ball Cosplay Soiree: Get Your Costumes Ready!

Flyer+for+the+Fall+Ball+Cosplay+Soiree+set+for+Thursday%2C+Oct.+26%2C+from+6+p.m.+to+9+p.m.+Photo+by+Holly+Ward.+
Flyer for the Fall Ball Cosplay Soiree set for Thursday, Oct. 26, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Photo by Holly Ward.

The Department of Art & Creative Media at CSU Pueblo is preparing to host the Fall Ball Cosplay Soiree on Thursday, Oct. 26, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Art and Music building.

The costume party event is an extension of the Interim Fall Student Exhibition. The primary event will be in the Fine Art Gallery, where attendees can see student’s artwork. The artwork on display resulted from an open call.

Hellen Eberhardie Dunn, who is an Instructor in the art department, spearheaded the planning and organization of the Fall Ball Cosplay Soiree.

“Since COVID, we haven’t had much fun with students getting together in a single place and time. This seemed like a good opportunity to have an event. The thing has morphed from a single gallery opening to a costume soiree,” Dunn said.

Dunn received help and collaborated with students, including those in work-study programs and volunteers, to plan the event. She aims to bridge the university community with the local community.

“I really would like to have people come from the community to just come in and enjoy what the students are doing, what they’re putting on in terms of an event, and have the students be seen as well by artists and performers, and different people in the community,” said Dunn.

Attendees are welcome to start at the fine art gallery, where they can enjoy pizza, veggies, and hummus. Wine will be available for those of legal age, possibly a small charge for the drinks.

“If you don’t have a costume, or you come and you want to dress up some more, there’s going to be a dress up closet with helpers. So, you can go, and you can choose something that you fancy wearing that night,” Dunn said.

Attendees can then make their way and explore the art and music building courtyard, featuring artistic wall projections. There is also a potential poetry reading also happening in the courtyard in collaboration with the English department.

Live music at the event will be primarily acoustic performers. Ember Peaslee, a student in painting, will be performing with her band, Two Rivers. Dunn shared that Bob Marsh, a local performer, will play an improvisational set on the cello. 

A blue screen will be set up for attendees to have their photographs taken in their costumes. In Studio 121, there will be a catwalk and projections. The projections will be of individuals who are at the event. There will be an interactive station for attendees to tweak and manipulate the projection images.

In preparation for the event, the Art department has hosted costume-building parties, with one receiving about 20 people. A panel of student judges from the Art and Media departments will determine the costume contest winners at the event.

Prizes for the costume contest include spooky goblets hand-made by students. Recipients of the goblets can then further decorate their prizes at a decorating station at the event.

“The number one outcome would be that it’s a blast,” Dunn said. “There’s finally going to be a party in the Art department with fun happenings that shouldn’t be missed.”