Rev89 is number one in the nation

Rev89 remote broadcast on campus
    Rev89 remote broadcast on campus

It’s something that fans have always thought, but now it’s official.  The Broadcast Education Association has named the Revolution, Rev89, CSU-Pueblo’s student-run radio station, the Best College Radio Station in the nation.

The station began broadcasting October 12, 1970, and launched a modern rock format on July 4, 1995.  Rev89 is now a contemporary hits/Top 40 format and is run entirely by CSU-Pueblo students.

Jenna Mangino, media manager for Rev89 and the CSU-Pueblo Today, explained that the station applied for the honor and won, beating out 471 other college radio stations in the U.S.  The competition invites submissions of superior protocol and practices at student-run, faculty-advised college radio stations.

“It’s an honor to receive the BEA Signature Station award. This represents the highest level of achievement in college radio”, said Mangino.  “I’ve always believed that we are a precedent-setting station. We’ve had a long legacy of success beginning with [Sam] Lovato’s management of the station in 1993. Since then, we’ve been blessed to have amazing students as part of the Rev89 team.”

The professional panel of BEA judges noted that Rev89 received the award because “[Rev’s] imaging and positioning are professional. Air talent is well above average in this group. Production is outstanding.”

Many listeners are not surprised by the recognition the station has received.  Debriel Gonzales, a freshman at CSU-Pueblo, said she listens to the station because she likes the current music they play.

Most of the on-air talent comes from the mass communications department, and students are able to work on Rev89 by taking a short course in radio operations to learn the basics.

The station is successful because of the enthusiasm and talents of these students.

Kathleen “Kat” Hund is one of several students that keeps the radio station running smoothly from public service announcements to “5@5” news briefs.

“CSU-Pueblo has a lot of untapped talent, and we are fortunate to have some of that talent in our Mass Communications department and as Rev89 on-air personalities,” she said. “Success comes from hard work, dedication and self-motivation.  We are lucky to have that from the media manager to the new students of Rev89.”