Pack club baseball looking to recruit members before spring season

Pack club baseball begins its spring season in March. Photo courtesy of csupueblo.edu.

CSU-Pueblo club baseball is working to build its team for its upcoming spring season.

Pack club baseball, which consists of students who do not currently play for the university’s official baseball team, is open to players of all skill levels.

It also serves as an opportunity for prospective players to prepare for tryouts for the official team.

The team travels to places like New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado Springs and Gunnison to compete against other university-level club baseball teams. When the players are not traveling, games are played at CSU-Pueblo.

Although this is the team’s second official season in the National Club Baseball Association, club baseball has been a campus organization for three years.

First-year manager Jeremy Madrid said the club is looking to recruit more members.

“We currently have eight players for the spring season, but we’re looking to add about ten more by the time practice starts,” he said.

Club Baseball is a two-season sport that is played during the fall and spring semesters. Practices currently take place inside due to winter weather.

“We just get together to have fun and do what we love to do: play baseball,” Madrid said. “We are also hoping to get a few red shirt players this season.”

Red shirt players are members of the university’s baseball team, who fill spots when needed.

Jordan Rademaker, first-year coach and senior psychology major, has high expectations for this season.

“We ended last spring on a high note, and had a very strong fall season this year. We’re in a good conference, but I think we have what it takes to stick with these teams,” he said.

The team said the window to join the team is getting smaller each day. The season kickoff is the beginning of March and the deadlines to join will be in the middle of February.

“We want to start practicing as a team as soon as possible, so if we can get students to join as soon as possible, that would be great,” Madrid said.

The spring season entrance fee is $100.