• SOCO Student Media, the new home of The Today, Rev 89, and Digital Sandbox!

“It’s given me a lot of confidence”

Pueblo born and raised, Ashlynn Young set to take stage at Steel City Music Showcase
Pueblo native, Ashlynn Young, performs in front of an audience. (Photo by Jerod Young)

Born-and-bred in Pueblo, Colorado, 22 year-old Ashlynn Young is set to take stage at this week’s Steel City Music Showcase in Downtown Pueblo.

The singer-songwriter will be performing her 40-minute set at the intimate setting of the Sacred Bean Cafe on Friday night, April 12, at 10 p.m.

For Young, music has been an integral part of her life from an early age.

“I grew up playing music at the church that we went to growing up and started singing when I was 6 or 7, so I’ve always been around music. Music is a really beautiful way to express the feelings you have. For me, it’s a lot easier to express the way I feel through my music than simply me talking it out,” said Young.

Religion also has had a profound effect on not only herself, but also her music.

“For me, my faith is really important. It definitely has shaped me a lot as a person and molded me to who I am today,” explained Young.

During the interview, Young took a short break to gather her thoughts and show the importance of faith to her.

“Sharing my faith is really scary for me, so it’s always been something where I’ve been like ‘Ahhh! This is really scary for me, I don’t know what words to say!’ So being able to put my words into something I’m good at (writing songs) has been beautiful for me. I’m already good at singing, so why not sing about my faith?” said Young.

Young also expressed what it means to her to have the opportunity to play in front of her hometown crowd.

“I’m not nervous yet, but I’m sure come Friday night, I will be. I’m sure it’s going to be a fun event and it’s great for the community, so I’m really looking forward to playing some songs,” said Young.

Speaking about her own musical interests, “I love Noah Kahan. I don’t love music where I have to figure out what they’re singing about throughout the whole song. I’m a sucker for good lyrics that take me on a journey.”

Young is on the SCMS bill alongside other notable acts, Neoma and Heavy Diamond Ring.

Ashlynn Young smiles at the camera while playing guitar. (Photo by Jerod Young)