Pueblo art and poetry to be showcased at First Friday Art Walk

The First Friday Art Walk will take place along Pueblo's Creative Corridor. Photo courtesy of puebloarts.org.
The First Friday Art Walk will take place along Pueblo’s Creative Corridor. Photo courtesy of puebloarts.org.

Pueblo might be known as the “Steel City,” for its long history of mass steel production, but it’s also the home to a unique creative experience known as the First Friday Art Walk. The event, which is held the first Friday of every month, showcases the works of local Pueblo artists.

The festivities will take place between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. along Pueblo’s mile-long Creative Corridor, which consists of Main Street, the Union Avenue Historic District, and the Mesa Junction.

The event will exhibit more than 35 galleries, restaurants and attractions. For those who want to experience a complete tour of Pueblo’s Creative Corridor, a free shuttle ride called the VanGo, will depart from the 5th and Main espresso bar at 5 p.m., and make 13 stops throughout the night.

The First Friday Art Walk also offers other activities. Participants can expect to see fiber arts, sculptures and pottery, among a slew of other creative works.

Attendants will also have the opportunity to mingle with some of the local artists such as Lynn Chapman, who will be featuring her pastel paintings at the café Cup ’n Cork on Broadway Avenue.

Some of the galleries will also offer live demonstrations, ranging from art performances to music. The Chock and Block exhibit on 132 B St. encourages audience participation by asking families to showcase their creative chalking ability.

The First Friday Art Walk is part of the Pueblo Arts Alliance, formally known as the Pueblo Preforming Arts Guild. According to its website, the organization’s mission is to promote “the production, enjoyment, and collaboration of the arts for the purposes of economic development and an enriched quality of life in Pueblo.”

“Pueblo Arts Alliance is a non-profit organization that helps artists and art organizations in Pueblo, Colorado by assisting in the promotion of events to increase audiences,” it said.

Combined with the First Friday Art Walk is a newer creative venue known as Pueblo’s Progressive Poetry Project. Established in July 2014, the project features poets who offer free readings of their work at different sites throughout the Creative Corridor.

Audience members can gather at Pueblo’s Central Plaza at 7 p.m. to witness the first poetic reading, and then move as a unit to the next lyrical setting.

Pueblo’s Progressive Poetry Project was founded by CSU-Pueblo Assistant Professor of English and Director of Creative Writing, Juan Morales and by Kadoya Gallery owner Gregory Howell.

This year’s Progressive Poetry Project will feature three poets: Alysse McCanna, Andrew Ketchum and Aaron Anstett. All three poets have been published and various volumes of their work will be for sale at the conclusion of the event.

There are still plenty of fun opportunities available after the festivities end. Fabulous PFidays Comedy and Variety Open Mike will have an adult themed comedy show starting at 8 p.m. at the Artcorp Art Gallery on Union Avenue, and the Razz Band will be performing at Patsy’s Nightclub at 7 p.m. on Santa Fe Avenue.