Focus of Valentine’s Day should be universal love

Image from clker.com
Image from clker.com

As the calendar turns to February, most of us think about Valentine’s Day and romance. For some people this day consists of flowers, jewelry and chocolates. For others, it’s just another day. Valentine’s Day is an odd holiday, and people either absolutely love it or despise it.

Students on the Colorado State University- Pueblo campus have various opinions on the holiday.

Sarah Zarr, a junior at CSU-Pueblo has fond memories of past Valentine’s Days.

“Valentine’s Day has always been my older sister’s favorite holiday, because she loves red and pink and hearts. When we were young, she would start planning for Valentine’s Day in January. She would throw an entire party for my immediate family. She would design different games, make beautiful cards for us, and buy us candy and little gifts that we would normally have to win or search for. We have some of the best family memories from Valentine’s Day…”

For other students, Valentine’s Day may be their least favorite holiday.

Michael Liptak, a mass communications major said, “I believe it’s a silly holiday, and I don’t really see the point of it. It’s a day people tell you to do something special for your significant other…which in my mind, diminishes it.”

Tyler Stone, a graduate student at CSU-Pueblo, agreed with Liptak.

“In my opinion, if you need a yearly calendar date to be romantic and show your significant other that you care, you probably shouldn’t be in a relationship in the first place,” he said. “They deserve that communication and attention year around.”

A lot of people in relationships look forward to the holiday when they get to spend time with their partner, but students who are single have expressed that they feel lonely on Feb. 14.

But there is something that needs to be understood about Valentine’s Day. People should realize that Valentine’s Day is about love, not necessarily about couples.

Alana Buglewitcz, a freshman on campus, said that she is irritated “that people mainly focus on the fact of Valentine’s Day being specifically for a significant other.”

“I know other people do, but I never feel the need to have a relationship on Valentine ’s Day… because I make it about loving the people around me, whether that’s friends or family,” Zarr said. “I love holidays because they bring people together and remind us to treat each other special and show that appreciation. That goes for Valentine’s Day too.”

Although Valentine’s Day has evolved into a commercialized event and labeled a “Hallmark Holiday,” there are other ways to celebrate the day in order to make it more bearable.

Whether a person is already in a relationship or free, they can work to make Feb. 14 a day of kindness or universal love. That doesn’t mean you should be taking every person to a fancy dinner, but rather you should simply spread your generosity, even toward those you’re barely acquainted with.

One way you can have fun this Valentine’s Day is to vary your celebration. This means spending less time in snobby restaurants or movie theaters, and go to places that are more relaxed. Get a group of friends or your significant other and go to an arcade or a bowling alley.

More often than not, people make Valentine’s Day stressful by concentrating on whether or not they are in a relationship, how much money they should spend, or what the best date is.

“I think (Valentine’s Day) is genuinely about love, and it’s meant to be a holiday where you can express your love to anyone, a family member, a friend, etc. People just blow it out of context,” Buglewitcz said .

There’s a lot more that people can do Feb. 14, instead sitting in front of a television with a carton of Ben & Jerry’s or sitting in front of each other pushing expensive food around on plates. Valentine’s Day should be a time where people celebrate with the important people in their lives.

“Love is a verb, and Valentine’s Day reminds us to take action for those we love, whether romantic love, family love or friendship love, by showing them appreciation. The day doesn’t have to be huge or grand or bought, it just has to show the people in your life that you care,” Zarr said.