Kreminski to begin new position as provost March 1

Dr. Rick Kreminski will become CSU-Pueblo's new provost on March 1. File photo
Dr. Rick Kreminski will become CSU-Pueblo’s new provost on March 1.
File photo

Rick Kreminski, dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, has been chosen as CSU-Pueblo’s new provost. He was selected from a list of three finalists that included Kristina Proctor, professor of chemistry at CSU-Pueblo and Jane Fraser, professor and chair of the engineering department at CSU-Pueblo.

According to the announcement from President Lesley Di Mare, support for Kreminski has been high across campus, and he will begin his new duties March 1.

The provost functions as the college’s senior academic adviser and is responsible for overseeing educational curriculum. At CSU-Pueblo, the provost works closely with the president in order to improve the educational quality and experiences of the students.

According to the university website, “The Provost Office is eager to help students find answers to their questions and to ensure that their experiences at CSU-Pueblo meet or exceed expectations.”

Before coming to CSU-Pueblo, Kreminski worked at Texas A&M University where he served as an assistant professor, intern and assistant dean.

Kreminski has been a math professor at CSU-Pueblo since August 2009. He has actively recruited students from around the community who show an interest in mathematical fields of study by participating in community outreaches such as the Science Olympiad Commotion, which is scheduled to take place next month.

Kreminski said he feels that “science and mathematics are very special ways to seek truth.”

“Art, music, humanistic studies and other pursuits also shed light on the world and our place in it. But there is something special about the focus, depth and precision that math and science bring to bear on our explorations of this mysterious and marvelous world.”

Kreminski previously served as interim provost for CSU-Pueblo from 2011 to 2013, and he is also the Acting Director of the Institutional Research and Analysis.  The process for filling the two positions Kreminski is vacating will begin later this month according to Di Mare.

In response to a student’s question about the changes he would implement to CSU Pueblo’s academic programs, Kreminski said he has several strategies in mind. One of these ideas consists of “…enhancing experiential education opportunities. This is important for our reaffirmation of accreditation as well [as part of our Quality Initiative].”

Kreminski also mentioned that he wants to “enhance recruitment opportunities by considering a variety of new emphases within existing majors.”

He hopes to explore several other forms of experimental education such as more “hybrid-themed and filled-classroom options.” He aims to make sure that programs remain up to date, that both students and faculty can professionally grow from their time here, and collect feedback from the college’s alumni for further insight and “beneficial perspectives.”

In her email to the campus community, Di Mare stressed that Kreminski is the right man to fill the provost position.

“Dr. Kreminski has garnered a far intricate understanding of our institution and our students as a whole, which has been invaluable to us in our enrollment and budget forecasting and will continue to guide these decisions as we move forward.”