SEAL office transforms homecoming dance with paint party

GlowRage | Photo by Keelan Bailey
CSU-Pueblo students participate in this year’s homecoming dance. | Photo by Keelan Bailey

After years of low attendance at the homecoming dance at Colorado State University-Pueblo, the Student Engagement and Leadership office decided to transform the event by hosting a paint party and concert. The dance was much more successful this year than in recent years.

The SEAL office hired a recreation company called GlowRage to come to campus for the dance, which was held Oct. 10 in the student recreation center. The company travels to universities across the country.

During the concert, the DJ played music that was remixed to audience’s liking. Unlike a traditional homecoming dance, however, people started throwing and spraying paint all over the audience. There were buckets full of neon and black light active non-toxic paint. As the songs reached certain points, the crowed was sprayed with paint.

With more than 300 student and community attendees, the event was more successful than previous homecoming dances. “I got a lot of positive feedback about the event in comparison to homecomings we have had in the past. Our numbers have doubled for this one,” said Alexis King, a coordinator for the SEAL office.

Homecoming attendance has been so low in recent years that the school decided not host the dance last year. But this year, students actively participated in the event.

“The Paint Party was sweet. GlowRage did a really amazing job. I really hope we bring them back soon,” said CSU-Pueblo student Caleb Flack. “I’m really glad that they decided to do this as the homecoming dance instead of the regular homecoming dance, because no one goes to the regular homecoming dance.”

King said the event was a fun recreation alternative for students.

“I don’t think that all students want to go out and party on the weekends. It doesn’t really create the college atmosphere they’re looking for. So it was nice to have an event like this where students have an alternative, and create a fun atmosphere for students,” she said.

Students who attended the event were told to wear clothes that they didn’t mind getting paint on because it would stain clothes.

CSU-Pueblo student Jordan Petty said he enjoyed the event because it was different than homecoming dances at other universities.

“The Paint Party was awesome,” Petty said. “It got a lot of people, and it was a more productive event that we’ve had here on campus during a Saturday night.”