Stand-up comedian Beth Stelling performs at CSU-Pueblo

Photo courtesy of TheeErin/ Flickr
Beth Stelling | Photo courtesy of TheeErin/ Flickr

Colorado State University-Pueblo featured stand-up comedian Beth Stelling in Hoag Hall Feb. 3. Stelling has been featured on American talks shows such as Jimmy Kimmel Live and Conan, and has also been highlighted on Comedy Central.

Stelling credits the start of her stand up career to starring in musicals growing up.

“I would play the funny role in musicals in high school,” Stelling said.

According to Stelling, her two older sisters played a major role in her decision in getting into the entertainment industry.

“I have two older sisters and watched them on stage and that’s when I released I wanted to perform,” Stelling added.

Stelling has been in stand up comedy for nine years. The first time Stelling found her humor she was at a music recital. She turned off the electric keyboard and started playing jokingly.

“The first time I was ever publicly funny, I didn’t practice at all. I played an electric keyboard but didn’t know any notes. I just let it rip,” she said.

The Ohioan shared her advice for anyone seeking to perform in stand up comedy.

“Do what’s right for you. People say you will probably bomb it the first time, you might not you might have a really great time your first time,” Stelling said.

Stelling said that she was around friends during college when she first tried doing stand up comedy.

“It wasn’t until years in I was at one of my first paid gigs that I bombed,” she added.

Stelling also spoke about how crowd involvement was important.

“It’s contagious and confidence is also contagious,” Stelling said.

“The best part about stand up comedy is throwing something out there that’s unique to you and having people laugh.”

For those that missed Beth Stelling’s event, there will be another comedic event, the Second City Comedy Tour, an improvisational comedy enterprise that is a starting point for many comedians. Notable alumni of this group include Bill Murray, Tina Fey, Steve Carrell, Stephen Colbert, Amy Poehler and more. The event will be held Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. in Hoag Hall.