CSU-Pueblo wins in a blowout

Colorado State University-Pueblo opened conference play with a resounding 38-0 thumping of Fort Lewis College at the Neta and Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl last Saturday.

Running back Jesse Lewis led a powerful ThunderWolves ground game with 93 yards on 12 carries, including a 54-yard scamper in the second quarter that put the Pack ahead 14-0.

“We played a complete game,” quarterback Colin Clancy said. “The offensive line as a whole played really, really well.”

CSU-Pueblo coach John Wristen retooled the offense during the offseason and it showed. The ThunderWolves compiled 278 yards on the ground after averaging just 68.1 rushing yards a game in 2008.

But it wasn’t just the offense that received all the glory.

CSU-Pueblo’s defense completely shut down the Skyhawks’ offensive attack, limiting Ft. Lewis to 115 total yards and recording the school’s first shutout in 27 years.

CSU-Pueblo running back Marquise Enoch carried the ball 13 times for 89 yards and scored on a 4-yard run late in the second quarter to vault the ThunderWolves to a 21-0 halftime advantage.

“Everybody put in 100 percent,” Enoch said. “I’ve seen a great improvement from last week.”

With the victory, CSU-Pueblo improved its record to 2-1.

The ThunderWolves travel to Nebraska Saturday where they will face Chadron State College.

CSU-Pueblo will be looking to avenge its worst loss of the 2008 season. Chadron St. defeated the ThunderWolves 32-0, a loss that began a four-game losing streak for the Pack.