Presidential campaigns make appearances in Colorado before caucus

Art courtesy of judicial.umwblogs.org.
Image courtesy of judicial.umwblogs.org

Colorado will hold the Democratic and Republican caucuses in precinct locations around Pueblo on March 1 at 7 p.m. In order to gain supporters ahead of the voting, Democratic presidential campaigns have been visiting Southern Colorado.

Former U.S. president Bill Clinton was in Pueblo and Colorado Springs on Feb. 20-21, encouraging the people of Colorado to caucus for Hillary Clinton on March 1. The event marked the first time the former president has been to Colorado this election cycle.

He touched on subjects ranging from student loan debt, immigration reform and gun laws; rallying big support from Colorado College students and Colorado Springs residents alike.

“America never stopped being great. We need to make America whole again,” Bill Clinton said, poking fun at front-runner Donald Trump’s campaign slogan.

Colorado Sen. Ken Salazar introduced Bill Clinton Saturday in Pueblo, stating how involved Hillary Clinton had been in immigration reform.

“Hillary’s reason for running is to give every young man and woman in America the same chances we had growing up,” Bill Clinton said.

In Pueblo, Bill Clinton also covered the rising energy costs of living as well as drug addiction across the nation. He emphasized about the importance of America growing together during his rally in Pueblo.

Bernie Sanders has also been hard at work courting voters, especially in Denver.

According to Rev. Patrick Demmer of Graham Memorial Community Church, Sanders is considered a fighter for civil rights.

“Sanders grew up with African-Americans and he understands their everyday hardships, and has been working with them to improve their way of life for quite some time now,” Demmer said.

At the caucus, citizens of Colorado will not be voting for a presidential candidate specifically, but will be voting for delegates who will ultimately vote for the presidential candidate agreed upon at the caucus.

Democratic presidential candidates, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders made an appearance Feb. 13 in order to rally support for their campaigns.

Republican presidential candidates have not made appearances in Pueblo yet this election season.