ASG chief justice values communication

ASG chief justice Jacob Stice (right) plans to join the military after graduation. | Photo courtesy of Jacob Sitce

For Colorado State University-Pueblo senior Jacob Stice, being in a leadership role requires an ability to listen to the concerns of others while voicing his own opinion.

Stice, who currently serves as Chief Justice of the Associate Students’ Government, is a business major in the Hasan School for Business. As a student, Stice has been able to get involved both on and off campus.

After graduation, he said he plans to join the military.

His duties as ASG Chief Justice include attending committee meetings as a judiciary representative of the various appeals committees on campus. He plays a big role in deciding the outcome of appeals filed with the Parking Appeal Board.

Stice, a Pueblo native, transferred from Pueblo Community College in the fall of 2014 to pursue an undergraduate degree in business management at CSU-Pueblo.

Aside from a full load of 16 credits this semester and his ASG responsibilities, Stice is involved in Rotoract Club – a volunteer and leadership organization on campus, the Boys Scouts and Eagle Scouts organizations and the ENACTUS Club at CSU-Pueblo.  He manages to balance school and three jobs, which includes a job at Pizza Hut, working as a technician for The Office of Engagement and Leadership and fulfilling his responsibilities as ASG Chief Justice.

Stice’s long-term career goal is to own and manage his own business.  He draws inspiration from those close to home. “I admire my dad for his work ethic.  At 62, he is still working,” he said.

Stice is also motivated by business owners in the Pueblo community whom he met through his involvement with the local rotary chapter. He has an appreciation for their bold and direct approach when it comes to business.

Stice said he feels that while the academic aspects of the business program exceed students’ expectations, he would like to see CSU-Pueblo incorporate a business law degree in its curriculum.

“CSU-Pueblo professors are very business focused and the legal aspects that come to play, are very complicated, like tax codes that are very specific to corporations.  Studying some of the case laws would be very beneficial to students,” he said.

When he’s not studying or working, Stice enjoys woodworking, sound engineering and he describes himself as an avid gamer.

Editor’s note: This story is part of a series of profiles about members of the Associated Students’ Government at CSU-Pueblo.