CISA hosts CSU-Pueblo’s third annual Holi festival

Students participate in CSU-Pueblo's third annual Holi Festival. | Photo by Emma Paulson
Students participate in CSU-Pueblo’s third annual Holi Festival. | Photo by Emma Paulson

The third annual Holi festival took place on the lawn west of the administration building March 11.

Holi, also known as the festival of colors, is a celebration that has its roots in South Asia, particularly India and Nepal. It is a festival that welcomes the arrival of spring. Though it is originally a Hindu holiday, Holi has recently been adopted all over the world by many non-Hindus. It has come to symbolize the mending of relationships and new beginnings.

The event was hosted by the CSU-Pueblo International Student Association, while Rev 89 provided music for the event.

CISA members handed out almost 400 large packets of brightly colored powder to participants. The packets were purchased from a Hindu temple and each contained the label, “Nicely stroke a stranger’s face. Hug each other gently and smile at one another”.

Partcipants, many of whom were dressed in all white, ripped open the packets, and proceeded to throw the contents at one another, filling the air with a myriad of color and staining the clothing of anyone within a certain radius. Those who got powder is their eyes were provide with water and several napkins.

Jose Lopez, who is a member of CSU-Pueblo International Student Association, said it was his third year hosting the Holi celebration. He said there were 300 participants the first year and 150 the second. He explained it as opportunity for students to become involved in school events.

The Holi festival is just one of many events hosted by CISA. The club is responsible for programs such as Diwali, the Indian festival of lights, and Eid al Adha, an Islamic holiday that honors the sacrifice of Abraham. CISA is also responsible for the International Extravaganza, an annual event that offers information about cultures around the globe.

CISA has also collaborated with the Diversity Resource Center for Women’s History Month and the Center for International Programs.

However, one does not have to be an international student to join CISA. According to its website, CISA is “an organization comprised of students of the United States and other nations of the world, who collectively attend Colorado State University-Pueblo, and strive to perpetuate better more pronounced communication among people of the world.”

“We want to bring different cultures,” Lopez said.