Candidates for ASG leadership positions launch campaigns

The GOV campaign is focusing on the students.
The GOV campaign is focusing on student retention in its platform. | Photo courtesy of Paulena Schoenthaler

Part One

Student retention is the main focus of Antonio Huerta and Maggie Geolat’s Generation of Victory campaign.  The duo is running for president and vice president of Colorado State University-Pueblo’s Associated Students’ Government for the 2016-17 academic year.

Campaign week spans from April 4 through April 8. A debate between the presidential and vice presidential candidates will take place on April 7, in the Occhiato University Center Ballroom from 5-6:30 p.m.

Huerta is a graduate student at the Hasan School of Business and Geolat is a mass communications major with a minor in marketing and leadership.  They chose the theme of their campaign based on how they want the current generation of CSU-Pueblo students to be perceived, which is to be instrumental to positive change.

“We’re just here for the students – we’d love to win, we’d love to make a change, and even if we don’t, you can expect us to still be out there to ensure student success,” Huerta said.

The other candidates running for ASG senator positions on the GOV platform are Alex Hyland and Keragan Ettleman of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences; Anthony Ball and Annica Roberts of the Hasan School of Business; Rachel Ruiz and Brandon Bayer from the College of Science and Math; Tyree Brown and Anna Jordan of the College of Education, Engineering and Professional Studies; and Matt Schein, Daniella Trujillo, Isaiah Morgan, and Hannah Higgs, who are running at large.

The GOV team has an equal representation of male and female students campaigning for leadership positions.

According to the campaign’s mission statement, Huerta said, “Our mission is to create a better future for current and upcoming ThunderWolves, by providing them with servant leadership, advocacy, empowerment and dependability. Our main focuses will be on student retention, sustainability and student involvement, ultimately decreasing tuition fees will be our never ending commitment. We will also try to work hand-in-hand with faculty, staff and administration to ensure student success.”

The GOV party’s main focus areas include student retention, promoting diversity, increasing student organization involvement, decreasing tuition fees and facilitating more student traditions and involvement in on-campus activities.

Brandon Wilson and Jordan Moniz are running for president and vice-president of the opposing Moving Forward party.

On Monday, April 11, online election polls open at 8 a.m. Polls will close April 12 at 5 p.m. and can be accessed via Pack Link on the T-WOLF portal.

On Thursday, April 14, all winning candidates’ names will be posted in the office of student affairs, in the ASG office, and on the ASG election website. The newly elected leaders will be sworn into office on Monday, April 18, at 6 p.m. The date may be subject to change.

Editor’s note: The Today will feature Moving Forward’s platform in the coming week.

Correction: A previous version of this report said GOV’s mission was to provide “certain leadership.” The mission, according to Huerta, is to provide “servant leadership.”

UPDATE: The Today reached out to the Moving Forward party twice, but did not receive a response. More information about each party’s platform can be found here.