Opinion: CSU-Pueblo football continues to get better with spring scrimmages

Pack players exit the ThunderWolf tunnel before entering a playoff game against the University of Indianapolis last fall. | Photo by Jason Prescott

The Colorado State University-Pueblo football team held their second scrimmage of spring ball this April 8 at the Neta and Eddie DeRose Thunderbowl Stadium. The scrimmage counted as the 10th practice for the football team.

There were many positives for team and the defense was one of the most impressive parts of the scrimmage. Leading the way for the defense were senior defensive lineman, Josh Croy and Ian Kelly as they both dominated the line of scrimmage.

The linebackers looked physical and were flying to the football. The defensive backs had a good showing and had some really solid plays throughout the scrimmage.

The battle for the starting quarterback position was underway as Rex Dausin came away most impressive. Dausin was in command of the offense and was very smart with the football other than one interception that got tipped.

Quarterback AJ Thompson looked impressive as well with some nice throws and scrambles. The receiving core as a unit had a very good performance and they seemed to be clicking with their quarterbacks the entire scrimmage.

One take away from the scrimmage was the inconsistent play of the offensive line and tight ends. The loss of senior offensive lineman Gary Dixon, and Zach Martinez this year are apparent this spring. The starting tight ends had multiple drops in critical situations but second TE, Michael Wristen, was impressive in the running and passing game.

It seemed like too many times there was an offensive lineman in the face of the quarterback or clogging up holes for the running backs. The coaching staff should consider to switch things up going into the final scrimmages.

The Pack football team is continuing to get better. The growth is becoming more and more evident within each scrimmage.

The team will look just as good as always come the fall season.