Outdoor Pursuits program plans overnight rock climbing trip to Penitente

Image courtesy of csupueblo.edu.
Image courtesy of csupueblo.edu.

The Colorado State University-Pueblo Outdoor Pursuits program plans to take interested students, faculty and community members on an overnight rock climbing trip to Penitente in the San Luis Valley during the weekend of April 16-17.

The rock climbers will leave Pueblo on Saturday April 16, at 7 a.m. and return to Pueblo on Sunday April 17 at 7 p.m.

The fees that are associated with the trip for students with the Outdoor Pursuits  member co-op are $40. Students who are non-member co-op are  $50, alumni and staff are $80 and community members are $120. The fees cover the trip, transportation and equipment rental.

Amanda Roemeling, the Outdoor Pursuits Public Relations and Marketing Supervisor, said she believes this will be a great experience for students.

“It will be a  glorious outdoor experience with a combination of rock climbing and camping. You will get the entire outdoor pursuits experience. With trained guides and plenty of dad jokes there is no way you could have a better weekend. It is a full package,” Roemeling said.

Roemeling has been very active with the Outdoor Pursuits program during her time at CSU-Pueblo.

“I have been involved in the outdoor pursuits since my first semester,” Roemeling added.

Some of Roemeling’s experiences have included boogie boarding, days at Lake Pueblo kayaking and paddling around in a duckie, camping at the Great Sand Dunes, ice climbing, and rock climbing at Garden of the Gods, shelf and Penitente.

Roemeling also mentioned that she went skiing at Monarch many times and twice at Wolf Creek. She also enjoyed the challenge course, hiked up Mount Greenhorn, slacklined, made s’mores, hung out at the rock wall and learned how to roll a kayak, as well as dog sledding.

“There have been so many wonderful adventures and experiences I have gotten to enjoy with the outdoor pursuits that it lead to me becoming part of the team this last year.It has helped me grow as a person and helped me reach out to the campus in an attempt to get as many people involved with the outdoors as possible,” she said.

The Outdoor Pursuits enthusiast also believes that the program has a positive impact on the CSU-Pueblo’s campus.

“Outdoor pursuits opens doors and provides opportunities for the students on campus to do many different activities that are hard to do as a college student. They provide something fun for students to do during the week and on the weekend. They encourage students to grow as people and allow students to explore different activities in the outdoors,” Roemeling said.

CSU-Pueblo students can get involved and utilize opportunities with the Outdoor Pursuits program by stopping by the Equipment Room Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 12-5, located in the Student Recreation Center, and talk to one of the facilitators in person to get any information they are curious about.

“Outdoor Pursuits is an amazing program because students can use it however fits best for them.  If they have free time and enjoy doing new things they are welcome to join us on our weekend trips,” Roemeling continued, “ If they would rather just do something they have done before with close friends they can stop by our equipment room and rent gear to make sure they are prepared for their trip.”

Interested students, faculty/staff and community members can get more information by liking the Outdoor Pursuits page on their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CSUPuebloOutdoorPursuits.