Social work department hosts drive to help the homeless

Photo courtesy of TriMet/ Flickr
Photo courtesy of TriMet/ Flickr

The department of social work at Colorado State University-Pueblo will be hosting a drive through April 22 to collect new or gently used backpacks, shoes, wallets and new socks to help the homeless population within the Pueblo community.

Students, faculty and staff can find drop-off locations in the Occhiato University Center, Library and Academic Resources Center and General Classroom Building lobbies.

The department is working closely with case workers from Posada, a nonprofit organization that assist the homeless in Pueblo.

Their mission is to “provide housing and supportive services that empower homeless individuals and families in Pueblo County to become self-supporting members of the community.”

Posada provides services such as counseling, legal services, transportation, haircuts, laundry assistance, affordable housing and more. More information about their organization can be obtained at www.posadapueblo.org.

The drive on campus can help social work students to “learn how to effectively take action to help (the community),” said Brenda Figueroa, a social work student.

This is the first year that the Posada drive has been on campus. Through the drive, social work students hope to get the campus community as well as other social work majors aware of the help they can do for the homeless.

“It is a hands on experience for students of the social work department to learn how to do community organizations, not just on campus,” Figueroa said.

To get involved with the drive, donate or learn more about the social work department, students, faculty and staff can email Figueroa at [email protected].