Students prepare to check out of dorms as semester winds down

Photo courtesy of csupueblo.edu.
Photo courtesy of csupueblo.edu.

As the 2015-2016 school year is quickly coming to an end, students living on campus are preparing to leave the dorms. In order to avoid any fees with Residence Life and Housing, the program recommends following its tips for checking out.

“Plan ahead. Finals week can be pretty hectic so be sure to touch base with your resident assistant and have your check out appointment all set to go,” said Alex Hyland, Residence Life and Housing office assistant.

The last day for students to be off campus is May 7 at 10 a.m. Students that need to stay past this date must fill out a “Housing Late Stay” request form that can be found at csupueblo.edu/housing under the “forms” tab. Forms must be filled out by April 25 at 5 p.m.

Students staying for the summer will need to fill out the summer 2016 housing application form that can be found on the website before May 7. If they are participating in graduation, this form will need to be filled out for an extension to stay until May 8 by 8 a.m.

Some important tips to remember when leaving the residence halls for the summer is to clean everything in the rooms and bathrooms, clear all shelves, dressers, desks and cabinets, close all windows, turn off all plugs and lights. Students should check and make sure nothing is left behind and complete the checklist that will be distributed around the residence halls.

With that, according to housing procedures, students will have to attend the mandatory floor meetings as well as schedule a mandatory checkout appointment with their resident assistant.

If a student isn’t returning to CSU-Pueblo for the 2016-2017 school year, a “Request for Termination” form will need to be completed by May 16 to receive the $200 deposit back. Deposits are processed through PAWS accounts and are credited to the student account.

Bulletins in hallways, letters sent to students and the housing website will also have the necessary information students need regarding the checkout process.

If an appointment isn’t made or the checkout process isn’t done correctly, students will face a $50 improper checkout fee.

For more information, students can visit the housing front desk located in Culebra Hall, call housing at 719-549-2602, email the housing office at [email protected] or visit the housing website at csupueblo.edu/housing.