Homecoming week festivities

Juanita Whitaker and Jazmine wells, Homecoming Queen candidates, and Andy Fox, Homecoming King candidate work with the Office of Student Activities to promote this week's events and election

Royalty, bonfires and music festivals entails only a few events being held at Colorado State University-Pueblo in celebration of Homecoming Week.

Student activities is hosting several events the week of Oct.19-25, in celebration of CSU-Pueblo’s Homecoming game on Saturday Oct. 24 said, student events coordinator, Kelly Close, for the Office of Student Activities.

“Homecoming is a time to celebrate your campus and celebrate being a ThunderWolf,” Close said, “We want students to be involved with the campus and to have fun.”

Homecoming Events from CSU Pueblo Today on Vimeo.

The first event planned for the week is Homecoming Kick Off on Monday, Oct.19, at noon in the Student Center of the Occhiato University Center.

At the Kick Off, OSA will have giveaways and announce the candidates running for Homecoming king and queen, Close said.

CSU-Pueblo’s Got Talent will take place in the OUC Ballroom from6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday. Close said there will be a $200 cash prize for first place, a $100 cash prize for second place and $50 cash prize for third place.

If students are looking for something to do the night of Wednesday, Oct. 21, Close said the Wild West Casino Night is the “big event” to be at. Last year, she said there was a large turn out of students and the OSA gave away $800 in prizes. She said she expects the same type of giveaways this year.

On Thursday,Oct. 22, the Homecoming king and queen elections will be held in the Grand Hall in the OUC between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., Close said.

Also on Thursday,Oct. 22, she said the OSA will be hosting the Students vs. Faculty/Staff Events from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

“For this event we are looking for student and employee volunteers who would like to participate in our basketball game,” Close said in an email. For students or alumni to participate in the event those interested may apply with the Office of Student Activities.

A pep rally is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 23, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., which includes a bonfire and a pig roast, followed by the Thunder Down Under Music Fest from 7 p.m. to midnight. Both will take place in the Art and Music Building Courtyard.

The music festival will be featuring several different bands and is open to the public at no cost, Close said.

Finally on Saturday, Oct. 24, the day of the homecoming football game, there will be a parade beginning at noon. Close said anyone is welcome to participate in the parade with a completed application by Oct. 21. Currently there is only one applicant for the homecoming parade, but clubs and organizations are showing strong interests she said.

OSA is currently working on clearing the route for the parade with the sheriff’s department to ensure traffic will be blocked off, Close said and the route is scheduled to run from the parking lot by the OUC around to the road that leads to the football field.

The homecoming game against Western State College will begin at 2 p.m. at the Neta and Eddie DeRose ThunderBowl. With a student ID, CSU-Pueblo students will be admitted free and seated in the ThunderHill area.

Tickets for alumni, community members, faculty and staff may be available one week prior to the game and may be purchased at the CSU-Pueblo ticket office, located inside of Massari Arena. Tickets can also be purchased by calling 719-549-2050 or by ordering them online from the CSU-Pueblo bookstore.

Following the homecoming game, the OSA will be hosting a Homecoming Royalty Dance at 7 p.m. in the OUC ballroom. Close said semi-formal attire is strongly recommended for the dance and all students, alumni, staff and faculty are invited to attend.