Prizm garners support for LGBTQIA community at CSU-Pueblo

Image courtesy of PRIZM
Poster for upcoming events from the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
~ photo by: Adrienne Burthe

The Prizm organization at Colorado State University-Pueblo held a PRIDE Fest Oct. 5 from 2-4 p.m. in the Psychology building.

Prizm is an on-campus group that supports students who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual.

The event, which was open to all students and organizers, was aimed at garnering support for those involved with the LGBTQIA community.

It was Prizm’s second event of the day. The first, “Cupcakes for Diversity,” took place in LARC from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Festival activities included arts and crafts, a PRIDE movie screening and trivia on the LGBTQIA history. Prizes and snacks were provided.

Vera, who has been to every Prizm meeting and event since she started school at CSU-Pueblo, was disappointed by this year’s turnout.

“I desperately want us to grow more like other clubs here on campus,” said Vera.

Vera hopes more people will show up to their weekly Wednesday meetings at 6 p.m. at the Walking Stick residence clubhouse, where the group comes together to talk both about personal and other daily issues they face as a community both locally and worldwide.

Graduate assistant for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion Steven Parker agreed with Vera that the number of attendees of Prizm events tends to vary each year.

“Sometimes we get a lot of attendance, like with the drag show, but last year’s prom there was no one there,” said Vera.

She added the members strive to be like a family and hope to get more members, as well as support from students who don’t identify with LGBTQIA.

Those who do not identify with LGBTQIA are still welcome to attend all events as well as their weekly meetings and join Prizm.

In fact, according to Parker, this year’s Prizm President Bonnie Fruland identifies as heterosexual.

Vera thinks the best way for Prizm to get support around campus is by people asking questions and educating themselves about the issues.

“I think the best way to educate people is for them to ask questions. I believe that it’s important to ask questions, that’s how we can learn to be supportive of each other. I always encourage questions as long as they come with no judgment,” said Vera.

October is LGBTQIA History Month, so there will be plenty of other events to attend.

A Cultural Movie Night is scheduled for Oct. 13, from 4-6 p.m., in room 153 of the Psychology building.

Vera’s personal favorite event, the annual drag show, is expected to have the highest turnout rate for students and will be held at the OUC Ballroom Oct. 27, from 7-9 p.m.

Other events for Prizm can be found online through CSU-Pueblo as well as in the office for diversity and inclusion on campus.

Edited by: Theresa Wolf