Colorado State University-Pueblo celebrates Oktober Fest

CSU-Pueblo Today Photo/ Jon Doose
Students play hammerschlagen during Colorado State University-Pueblo International Students Association’s Oktoberfest event.

By Thomas Thortvedt

The Center of International Programs hosted the annual Oktoberfest at the ThunderZone Pizza & Tap House across from the ThunderBowl Friday, Sept. 22.

Students were able to enjoy free food and drinks in a fun but also safe environment from 4p.m. until 7p.m. The Colorado State University-Pueblo brew club and the Colorado International Student Association, alongside other sponsors, including the Art Club, History Club, Student Veterans of America, the Associated Students’ Government and the Office of Student Engagement were all host of the German-inspired event.

The event offered free German style food. CSU-Pueblo students had the choice between bratwurst or spicy chicken sausage. Sauerkraut and sautéed onions were offered as toppings as well as mac and cheese on the side.

The beers that were available during the event mirrored the diversity of the clubs involved and those in attendance. Some of the beers offered included Samuel Adams Octoberfest, a marzen style beer brewed in Boston and St. Pauli Girl N.A., a nonalcoholic German style Pilsner from Germany.

CSU-Pueblo Today Photo/ Jon Doose
Students enjoying beer and bratwurst at CSU-Pueblo International Students Association’s Oktoberfest event Friday night.

Along with food and drinks, students also had the chance to play a variety of German games. A large crowd gathered outside for stein hoisting and hammerschlagen which were some of the games students enjoyed.

Director of Student Engagement and Leadership, Gena Alfonso, said that the event is a great way for the community to come together. “Every year this event is a fun way for students and International Programs to interact and have free German food,” Alfonso said. “It’s always a fun and safe environment.”

CSU-Pueblo Today Photo/ Jon Doose
Bratwurst was served at ThunderZone during CSU-Pueblo International Students Association’s Oktoberfest event Friday night.

Brew Club President, Phil Padilla, said that it is the CSU-Pueblo’s brew club mission to engage faculty and student body. “It’s important for us to engage faculty and student body in the ancient art of brewing by showcasing the diversity,” Padilla said. “Oktoberfest combines the artistry, business, and academic sensibilities of the brewing industry.”