A Pueblo Gymnast: The End of an Era

By Ashlyn Drury

Pueblo West senior, Jaylee Martinez, was awarded the “Leno and Lorraine Nogare Memorial Scholarship.”

On Saturday, Oct. 8, Central High School’s Co-op Gymnastics team hosted their final season home meet, held at Nogare’s Gymnastics Academy. The Wildcats walked away with first place in a dual meet against Canyon High School. The team is made up of gymnasts from each high school across Pueblo. Two team members include Pueblo West seniors Jaylee Martinez and Hailey Soares, who was celebrated at the senior meet.

Jaylee Martinez, 18, has been a gymnast since she was 18 months old. Beginning her journey at Nogare’s Gymnastics Academy and competed in club gymnastics. She went on to be a four-year Varsity gymnast through Central High School. She competes All-Around, performing her skills on vault, bars, beam, and her strongest event, floor.

Martinez had numerous top placements at their home meet. She was awarded first place on vault, beam and floor, along with all-around and fourth place on bars. 

Martinez was also awarded the $1,000 “Leno and Lorraine Nogare Memorial Scholarship.” She was presented the award by Deann Sisson and Kendra Nogare, daughters of the beloved couple. Past recipients Ashlyn Nogare Drury (2020) and Alleson Schlosky (2021) were also in attendance. The scholarship was created in honor of the love and support that Mr. and Mrs. Nogare had for the sport of gymnastics throughout their 40 years of involvement.

Martinez states, “I am so honored to be awarded this scholarship because growing up at Nogare’s has given me the most amazing memories and life skills I can carry with me for the rest of my life. I will never forget seeing Grandma Nogare in the gym and feeling so welcomed around her. Her and Grandpa Nogare’s program will forever be so special to so many gymnasts, and I am lucky to be one of them.”

Martinez plans to study Kinesiology and Sports Science at the University of Nebraska Kearney with a minor in Psychology as her final season of gymnastics is ending. 

Martinez states, “It is now my last season of my gymnastics career, and it is unbelievable to me. My lasts for gymnastics always seemed so far away. I am incredibly thankful for what this sport has taught me, how it has impacted me, and that I can carry these life lessons with me forever.”

The Wildcats will compete at the Colorado High School Athletic Association Regional meet on Thursday, Oct. 27, with hopes of earning an invitation to the State meet that will take place on Nov. 3-5.