Setting records and making history

Photo by CSU Pueblo Men’s Soccer.

By Ashlyn Drury

The CSU Pueblo Men’s Soccer team makes history with their outstanding performance through the 2022 season. Intending to win the NCAA DII Championships, the Thunderwolves fell just short of turning this dream into a reality. However, their accomplishments and determination through this season do not go unnoticed. 

Last year’s CSU Pueblo Men’s Soccer team made an appearance in the tournament, but this is the furthest they have ever gone. With 19 wins, two ties, and just three losses in their regular season standings, they set record after record for the University. This is the most wins the program has ever had, in addition to not only making it to the NCAA DII Men’s Soccer Tournament but also playing in the championship game. History was made through hard work, determination and the community’s support. 

Other accomplishments that the team had this year include playing in the RMAC Championship game and being Runner-Ups to the RMAC DII Men’s Soccer Champions, Colorado School of Mines. Numerous individual honors include Shjon Andrews being named RMAC Defensive Player of the Year. RMAC First Team selections, Shjon Andrews, Lamar Bynum, Gabriel Campora and Caio Oliveira. Mario Sandoval with a Second Team selection and Nils Roth with an Honorable Mention. Mahir Bingoel won the Summit Award for performance in academics and athletics, holding a 4.0 GPA in Business Management. He was the first CSU Pueblo Men’s Soccer athlete to win this award. Shjon Andrews and Gabriel Campora earned D2CCA All-South Central Region First-team honors and Lamar Bynum was named the second team. Concluding the honors, Shjon Andrews and Kenshin Uneo were called to the RMAC All-Academic First Team. 

This team proved themselves on and off the field. On Saturday, December 3rd, the Thuynderwolve, No. 9, went head to head against No. 1 Franklin Pierce in the NCAA DII Championships hosted in Seattle, Washington. They fell just short with a 0-2 loss. Although they did not win, they had support from community members throughout their journey. Other Pack Athletics teams and students cheered them on as they gathered to watch each game from campus. The Thunderwolves were welcomed home to the Art and Lorraine Gonzales stadium with signs and cheers to recognize and celebrate their accomplishments.