CSU Pueblo celebrates World Aids Day

Photo provided by Pexels.

By Zoe Schimke

38 million people around the globe are estimated to have HIV and AIDS. Although it wasn’t identified until 1984, the virus has caused over 35 million deaths, making it one of history’s most destructive. World AIDS Day has been a yearly reminder that although society is making advancements toward treating and preventing HIV and AIDS. Raising awareness about the symptoms, prevention methods and research on a cure is still pertinent. To show solidarity for those suffering the effects of the virus, many wear red HIV awareness ribbons.

World AIDS Day falls on Dec. 1, and CSU Pueblo participated in its own way through a special commemorative event organized and hosted by Bill Redmond-Palmer and John Mark Hild, co-chairs for the CSU Pueblo’s chapter of World AIDS Day. The theme for this year’s event was “reflection, rejuvenation and celebration.” 

Featured speaker Richard Blair told the story of his friend and roommate, Michael, who died in 1987 due to AIDS complications. 

“After Michael was initially diagnosed with AIDS, they gave him the drug regiment of ACT,” he explained. “And I really think that the drug itself caused more harm than the disease progression.” 

Blair is the founding executive director of the Southern Colorado AIDS Project. His experience with promoting awareness for HIV/AIDS was borne out of a newspaper announcement he read after Michael’s death, telling him about a meeting for people who wanted to know more about the disease. He has been volunteering and promoting AIDS awareness ever since. 

The university’s celebration of World AIDS day also featured a performance by Pueblo-based performer Kennedy Pugh, an Indigenous drum performance led by Sam Gallegos, the presentation of the national AIDS quilt and a performance by CSU Pueblo’s Ballet Folklorico. A brand new piece of music, composed by Dr. David Volk, was performed by CSU Pueblo’s Concert and Chamber Choir.