A diverse culture

Photo provided by Unsplash.

By Dylan Weaver

This year alone there are 650 student athletes at Colorado State University Pueblo. Compared to Division One universities who may host thousands, this number actually marks the largest ever in CSU Pueblo history. Historic numbers like this may be small moments in the record books, but it means more the deeper you look at it.

Before exploring the athletic side of this school, what first must be recognized is the diversity that it holds. In the fall of 2022 there was an enrollment of 3,529 students. Over 50% of those students are racial and ethnic minorities. While 33% of that number is made up by the hispanic population of this school (since this a hispanic serving institution), what can’t be forgotten is the number of African Americans in that make up. 

Athletics are the driving force in a large number of the African American students that come to attend CSU Pueblo. Out of the 22 varsity athletics that this school offers there are currently at least one person of color on 12 separate teams. Looking at some of the teams, there are over 50 black football players, 7 basketball players and even the men’s lacrosse coach is a black man. 

One team that hails two black student athletes is baseball. Jaden Hill is one of these student athletes. Hill, who transferred from Grambling State University last spring, came into this university as both a baseball player and a football player. While ultimately ending on the path with baseball, Hill recalls how the transition was a tough one on him.

“I came into this school closed off and hard-headed. I’ll admit, I thought I was better than everyone,” said Hill. “I was the new guy and didn’t know how to handle it. It was this community of brothers on this team that really accepted me and made me feel a part of the program. I really appreciate all that they have done for me and how they have helped me since getting here.”

Stories like this aren’t uncommon as other areas of this college are also working towards the involvement of its African American students. The Black Student Union (BSU) is also another place where many black students, some even athletes, can come together to learn about African American history and meet other students of color on this campus.

Black History Month is a time that pays homage and contribution to the black men and women who have done so much in the history of the United States. That history is still being made and it’s through the little actions of students that come to college and play athletics on scholarships that impact this history. The number of black student athletes is growing, and it can be seen right here in Pueblo at this university. Historic numbers are being made and black people are steadily involved in this change. 

Diversity is something that will always occur, but it’s the black student athletes of CSU Pueblo that are leading into a future of change and helping us understand just how the numbers really look on second glance.