Outdoor Pursuits at CSU Pueblo

Students+hang+in+hammocks+on+an+Outdoor+Pursuits+camping+trip+in+San+Isabel+during+the+Fall+2022+semester.+Photo+provided+by+Holly+Humphries.+
Students hang in hammocks on an Outdoor Pursuits camping trip in San Isabel during the Fall 2022 semester. Photo provided by Holly Humphries.

By Holly Ward

Outdoor Pursuits (OP) is a Colorado State University Pueblo organization dedicated to providing opportunities for students to get off campus and enjoy the wilderness.

Holly Humphries is a senior at CSU Pueblo studying cellular and molecular biology, and she has been working for Outdoor Pursuits since May of 2022. 

“As a facilitator, I encourage participants to step out of their comfort zone and try new things such as climbing, kayaking, hiking, skiing, and various other activities. I am also the water supervisor, so I have the added benefit of organizing OP in the pool every month and training the rest of the staff on water safety,” Humphries said.

Outdoor Pursuits plans trips during both the fall and spring semesters. The organization offered camping and hiking trips this school year in the fall while the weather was nice. This spring semester, during the winter months, Outdoor Pursuits has offered skiing trips, ice climbing and snowshoeing.

“Last Labor Day, we went camping in San Isabel. I had two of my best friends join me on that trip, and we made so many good memories paddle boarding, sitting around the campfire and making a hammock stack 12 feet high,” Humphries said.

The OP team provides transportation and equipment but most trips cost money to sign up and attend. 

Under the “Outdoor Pursuits” section, the CSU Pueblo website states, “We can recommend practices and procedures for enjoyable outdoor travel along with advice on locations to go based upon their skills, interests, and needs. We have an excellent selection of high-quality outdoor equipment available for rent.”

Adrian Dreher is a student from Germany studying at CSU Pueblo this semester. Since he does not have a car, the OP program has allowed him to travel to other scenic destinations. 

“As an international student, OP gave me the chance to see the beautiful state of Colorado while doing fun activities,” Dreher said.

OP brings students, faculty and community members together with their teams to create memories that will last a lifetime. 

“Experiential learning programs like OP are essential to any university because they open up a world of outdoor opportunities for students and the community to challenge themselves,” Humphries said. “College is supposed to be about learning who you are and what you want to be, and that is precisely what OP strives to help people do. Also, students can gain valuable internship roles and professional experience, as I have,” she said

OP is a part of the Recreation Center on campus. Within the gym, there are posters about the schedule and programs offered by OP. However, more information can be found on the CSU Pueblo website. 

“If you see something you’re interested in, even if you are unsure, just do it. We have an amazing group of facilitators that will be there for you every step of the way to inspire, equip and embark on some amazing journeys that I think you’ll remember for the rest of your life,” Humphries encouraged.