Triple threat: pitcher, hitter, and first baseman

Marissa+Robertson%2C+%2324+on+the+CSU+Pueblo+softball+team%2C+swings+at+softball+during+a+regular+season+home+game.+Photo+provided+by+Jayson+Ortiz.+
Marissa Robertson, #24 on the CSU Pueblo softball team, swings at softball during a regular season home game. Photo provided by Jayson Ortiz.

By Ashlyn Drury

Hitting bombs and throwing strikes, freshman Marissa Robertson of the Colorado State University Pueblo’s Softball team does it all. 

Robertson is a 19-year-old out of Rocklan, Cali., majoring in Occupational Therapy. As a first-year student-athlete, she is already making her name known with her skills and outstanding performance on the ball field. As a pitcher, a hitter, and a first baseman, she helps lead the team to success in multiple areas and does what she needs to do. 

Robertson’s journey with softball began 15 years ago with recreational softball. She played on a 6U team at age four, and her love for the sport never faded. Robertson played three years of varsity softball at Rocklan High School before bringing her talents to CSU Pueblo. 

Head Softball Coach, Bianca Duran, is why Robertson found her way to Pueblo. Robertson stated, “It was a last-minute choice, but I came for the coach and for the environment that the girls give off.”

Coach Bianca, known as “Coach B” to the athletes, shares many similarities to Robertson. Robertson states, “She is a pitcher and hitter as well and has similar fundamentals. She is very knowledgeable of the sport, and she pushes me to be the best I can be.”

Robertson has put those fundamentals into place, showing through her success. She has hit four home runs, pitched 29 strikeouts, and 73 outs from the outfield.

Being both a hitter and a pitcher, Robertson states, “I feel like when I’m pitching, it helps me out personally.” She can use her knowledge of how a pitch is thrown to make contact with the ball as a hitter, which has helped her hit four home runs this season.

With a smile on her face, Robertson states, “I love the feeling of hyping my team up and getting that support when I go around the base.”

While the team hypes her up after her hits, her walk-out songs, “Walk Up Hot” by Young Thug and “Limelight” by Rush, help bring up the energy as she goes out there to play.

Not only is Robertson enjoying her time on the softball team, but she is enjoying her time in Pueblo. She states, “I’m loving it here. I’m just kind of adapting to the different changes and being able to go out and meet new people.”

While Roberston is helping lead the Thunderwolves through a successful season, other star players include Ashley Tosh, Delaney Barela, and Raelynn Rogers. Tosh is a hitter with 16 runs scored and plays shortstop. Barela is a hitter with six runs scored and is positioned at second base. Rogers is at the top of the team stats with 32 runs scored and is positioned at third base. Rogers is tied for most runs this season alongside Freshman Caitlyn Cole.

The Thunderwolves have 14 wins and 25 losses so far this season. They are down to their final three-weekend matchups in the regular season. The Thunderwolves will face the University of Colorado Colorado Springs in away doubleheader games on Fri. April 14, 2023, at Noon and 2:00 p.m. and Sat. April 15, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

Their final home service will be against Black Hills State with double header games on Sat. April 22, 2023, at Noon and 2:00 p.m. and Sun. April 23 at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. They will head to Chadron, NE, where they will face Chadron State in doubleheader games Thur. April 27, 2023, Noon and 2:00 p.m. and Fri. April 28, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.