Same Story New Year

Photo provided by Unsplash.

By Dylan Weaver

The Rockies have been a team full of struggles and disappointments in recent years. After a two-year push into the playoffs in 2017 and 2018, the future was looking bright, highlighted by key players like Nolan Arenado, Trevor Story, and DJ LeMahieu. Little did Colorado know that soon after would be the downfall of a fan-favorite organization.

The 2023 season has written a similar story so far: the Rockies are currently six games below .500 and are once again predicted to finish at the bottom of their division and the league.

To recap their games so far, the Rockies are still searching for their first series win of the year, as after they started the season off 2-0, there never was a higher win total in a series than 2. In each of their series so far, they have either split or lost the series to opponents.

While there may have been struggles in recent years, the Rockies have been known to start their season in a better fashion. Just last year in 2022, through 18 games, the Rockies were 10-8, and in the shortened 2020 COVID season, the boys from Colorado were 12-6 to start the year.

Considering this season’s slow start, some bright moments can still highlight this team. 

The duo of All-Star teammates from last year in the Ace of the pitching staff German Marquez and homerun slugging first baseman CJ Cron, return to the squad with other fan favorites of Denver, including Kris Bryant, Charlie Blackmon, and Ryan McMahon, once again joining the team. Notable additions to the team include veteran reliever Brad Hand and outfielder Jurickson Profar from NL West foe, the San Diego Padres.

The newest story on the team this year is the much-anticipated arrival of rookie shortstop Ezequiel Tovar. While the 21-year-old Venezuelan saw limited time at the end of 2022, this year marks his official rookie season. Tovar is currently considered a potential Rookie of the Year candidate. His season has started slowly, but within a 162-game season, much can happen, and there is plenty of time to turn things around.

While many pieces of this team should be heading for success, the biggest issue that the Rockies have is they are a team without an identity. They boast a few names of high talent, but when many think of the Rockies, currently, there are no headlines to describe the team. They are a mix of old players continuing their careers through Colorado or young minor leaguers trying to make a name in the league. 

While they may never be or have a group like the “Blake Street Bombers” again, the greater problem is that there is no label for Colorado. The Rockies are just a struggling team at the bottom of the league. 

A struggling team so far this season makes it evident that until the team finds itself, the Rockies will continue to be a bottom-of-the-barrel team in the MLB for the years to come.

While fans are already picking up on their struggles, they are only a fraction through the season. Much can change within a wild NL West division, and potential pickups to happen down the line at the All-Star break. 

Slow starts are not the end of the year for a major league team, but it must also be wondered if this is showcasing what another year of disappointing Rockies’ baseball will look like.