ThunderWolves finish 6th at Mustang Intercollegiate

ThunderWolf golfers tapered a bit after a second place showing through two rounds Monday to fall to 6th place at the conclusion of the Western New Mexico Mustang Intercollegiate Tuesday.

The ThunderWolves ended day one in second place out of 17 teams, only trailing tourney host Western New Mexico. But a team mark of 323 on Tuesday, just the 8th best mark of the day, was enough to plummet the Pack down the leader-board.

Leading the Pack was Casey Brock, who finished in third place with a +6 222. Brock finished day one tied for first, shooting par after two rounds. Brock was a +2 74 in the opening round before coming in with a -2 70 in the day’s late round, tied with WNMU’s Greg Pool.

Tuesday, Brock accomplished the goal of shooting better than Pool, who put up a round-three 81, three shots worse than Brock’s 78. But nobody accounted for the day Central Missouri’s Justin Yoder would put up, who was unstoppable with a -5 67, dramatically raising his stock after shooting +4 after two rounds. Yoder finished first, four strokes ahead of Midland Community College’s Heinrich Frylinck, who put up a +4 220, two strokes better than Brock.

The Pack’s team score of 612 after round two left them in a logjam trailing WNMU, as just five strokes separated six teams: CSU-Pueblo, Midland Community College, Central Missouri, Fort Lewis, Washburn and Dixie State. Western New Mexico held a sizable lead, 24 strokes better than the ThunderWolves, as four Mustangs finished the day in the top 10 individually. The Mustangs eventually finished first with a 906, 14 strokes better than second place Central Missouri.