You want ‘em? Go out and get ‘em: next week’s releases

Photo courtesy of Destructoid

The NCAA Football series has come a long way since its start as Bill Walsh College Football in 1993, and NCAA Football 11 looks to be no exception.

This year’s game looks to add a slew of new features, visual elements and gameplay tweaks to the mix.

On the gameplay side, NCAA Football 11 introduces gang tackles, formation substitutions, Real Assignment AI, a new blocking system and the new momentum-based locomotion engine.

The locomotion system places new importance on a player’s acceleration rating, allowing gamers to take advantage of quick bursts and momentum, instead of relying solely on a player’s overall speed rating.

In an interview with Jon Robinson of ESPN Video Games, Ryan Burnsides, lead gameplay designer of NCAA Football 11, explains how locomotion adds depth to the running game.

“Runners will put their hand on the back of a blocker in front of them, he can swipe at a defender trying to tackle him, and the whole time he’s doing this, you’re in complete control,” Burnsides said. “We call this locomotion, but it’s really running, cutting, turning, anything that’s not a block, tackle, pass or catch. You not only have more control over each player now, it just looks better.”

In addition to locomotion affecting the running game itself, gamers will also notice a change in the visual dynamics of players running the field or bursting through gaps in the line.

“Last year’s game was really twitchy and people ran upright the whole time, so on long running plays, everything just looked real robotic. It just didn’t look like a person running naturally,” Burnsides said. “Now, you can lean forward into turns and lean forward when accelerating.”

How many of the new features in NCAA Football 11 can you spot? Photo courtesy of the NCAA Football 11 website.

Before players take the field, they’ll notice some graphical changes including team-specific entrances, helmet numbers for teams such as Alabama and ESPN style presentation and commentary featuring Brad Nessle and Kirk Herbstreit, with Erin Andrews providing injury reports and updates from the sidelines.

On the field, referees will line-up with players before the ball is snapped and will continue to monitor the play, dodging the on-field mayhem until the whistle blows. New team mascots and improved equipment such as more variation in helmets, towels, hand warmers, sleeves and knee braces, also made their way into NCAA Football 11.

The game has also returned to using one athlete on the cover, breaking the trend it set two installments ago. Florida Gators quarterback Tim Tebow will grace the cover of NCAA Football 11 as it hits shelves on Tuesday, July 13.

Those still up in the air about purchasing this year’s installment can check out the demo on the Xbox Live Marketplace and Playstation Store. The demo includes eight different teams to play as, with their alternate uniforms for use in the full game, as well.

With another majority week of Nintendo DS releases, gamers don’t have too much to be excited about beyond college football. A notable release includes Disciples III: Renaissance.

The Disciples series returns, now in 3D and with more customization options than you can swing a sword at. Photo courtesy of Gamespot.

Disciples III: Renaissance puts players in the role as one of the lords of Nevendaar.

This turn-based game contains three playable races, The Empire, The Legions of the Damned and the Elven Alliance, each with their own unique Unit styles and city design.

Disciples III is quite different from its two previous installments. In addition to Units being able to move around the battlefield, they can also make use of terrain for fortifications.

The player’s hero will be highly customizable, including abilities as well as weapons, armor and artifacts to be modified. Players will also be glad to hear that the equipment changes made will be noticeable on the actual character model.

Those looking to see what Disciples III: Renaissance has to offer can pick up the game on Tuesday, July 13.

Must see of the week!

Following the long-awaited E3 conference and the launch of the Playstation Plus service, gamers don’t have a lot to be excited about in the world of gaming this week.

So, this week’s “must see” will feature the remaining upcoming releases of the summer that are sure to surprise many and promise to stay in your console’s disc tray for a long time to come.

PC owners get to marvel at the long-anticipated sequel to the original 1998 military science fiction real-time strategy game Starcraft, as Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty is released on July 27. Along with Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 owners, PC gamers will also get the chance to experience the next installment in the gritty Mafia series, as Mafia II is released on August 24.

Console and handheld gamers alike will get to do their own “Super Bowl Shuffle” when Madden NFL 11 comes to the Nintendo Wii, Sony PSP, Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Playstation 2 on August 10.

Along with Mafia II, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 owners get to take the arcade fight to their homes and online as BlazBlue: Continuum Shift hits shelves on July 27. Those that prefer the Nunchuk over a controller will have their hands full with Metroid: Other M as it releases on the Nintendo Wii on August 31.

Handhelds also get a few impressive titles to their name. Monster Rancher DS brings monster raising, training and fighting to a new level in this Monster Rancher compilation that gamers can expect to see in stores on August 3, while both Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Ace Combat: Joint Assault make a splash on the Sony PSP on August 31.

The full list of releases is listed below for the Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC, Nintendo Wii, PSP, Playstation 2 and Nintendo DS; although releases are still subject to change at any time. Check back next week for more promotional offers and game releases.

Zak Bratton is assistant online editor and managing editor of CSU-Pueblo TODAY. You can contact him at [email protected].

Week of July 12, 2010

NCAA Football 2011 – Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Playstation 2

• $10 credit at Amazon and a Fathead Teammate wall sticker
  • Boost Pack: 5-star Recruit Bundle at Gamestop

Disciples III: Renaissance – PC

Chuck E Cheese’s Party Games – Nintendo DS

Little League World Series Double Play – Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS

Little League World Series Baseball 2010 – Playstation 3 and Xbox 360

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice– Nintendo DS

Animal Planet Vet Collection – Nintendo DS

Cats and Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore – Nintendo DS

Paws and Claws: Regal Resort – Nintendo DS

Hidden Objects: Mystery Stories – Nintendo DS

River City Sports Challenge – Nintendo DS

Games on the Go! – 15 Game Variety Pack – PC

Rig and Roll – PC

Bookmark and Share