Staying true to the red, white and blue: Traveling event honors U.S. military for their services

A Cost of Freedom tribute is an event that honors our military men and women. It will be conducted by the American Veterans Traveling Tribute from Wednesday, Sept. 29 through Sunday, Oct. 3 in the Student Recreation parking lot at Colorado State University-Pueblo.

“America cannot forget those who sacrificed all, and support all who have served and are serving,” read the brochure provided by CSU-Pueblo's OSA.

The AVTT is a group of military veterans who travel the country to honor, respect and remember those who served their country, as well as pay tribute to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. The event will provide an opportunity to those who are unable visit Washington, D.C., to pay their respects.

The “Cost of Freedom” refers to the cumulative actions made by all who have given themselves to establish and defend the freedoms all Americans enjoy. This includes all of the Veterans who have fought, and all too often died, throughout the history of our country so that the rest of us might live in peace.

Several exhibits will be on display ranging from a replica of the Vietnam Memorial Wall and Walk of Heroes, to a memorial honoring those who died in the terrorist attack on Sept. 11.  Also on display will be an exhibit honoring those who served, and died, in World War II, and the Korean War.

Schedule of events include:

• Wednesday, Sept. 29 – the AVTT arrives at CSU-Pueblo.
  • Thursday, Sept. 30 – the exhibit opens to the public, ceremony starts at noon.
  • Friday, Oct. 1 – an afternoon ceremony will be held starting at 11:30 a.m.; an evening ceremony and live performances starts at 7 p.m.
  • Saturday, Oct. 2 – All day viewing, music and a festival. The CSU-Pueblo Thunderwolves homecoming football game starts at 2 p.m.; an evening ceremony and candle light vigil starts at 5:30 p.m.
  • Sunday, Oct. 3 – A morning service, community festival, and all day viewing. A closing ceremony starts at 3 p.m.

The event is educational for our youth, according to a brochure provided by CSU-Pueblo’s office of Student Activities.

“America cannot forget those who sacrificed all, and support all who have served and are serving,” the brochure read. “A person is not gone until the memories are.”

You can honor our servicemen and women by volunteering your time and assistance. Many volunteer opportunities are available for the event.

You can sign up online or call Nicky Damania, director of Student Activities at 549-2151. You can learn more by visiting [email protected] or www.colostate-pueblo.edu/StudentActivities.

Volunteers needed:

Candlelight vigil volunteers

Volunteers are needed to hand out event programs and candles to guests, and assist visitors from 9 to 11 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 2.

Gate greeters

Hand out free event programs, greet guests, direct people to displays, exhibits, vendors and festivities throughout the site. Greeter positions will work three to four hour shifts, and greeters are needed 24 hours each day.

Golf cart drivers

Travel throughout the grounds and parking lot offering rides to anyone that would like one. Drivers must be at least 21 years old with a valid driver’s license. This volunteer position works three to four hour shifts.

Pack-up volunteers

About 30 volunteers are needed to help disassemble all exhibits from 3 to 6 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 3.

Parking Attendants

Direct traffic to parking lots and control traffic flow in and out of the event. This volunteer position will work three to four hour shifts at gate entrances.

Publicity volunteers

Visit businesses and events throughout Pueblo to create awareness of the event and answer questions that community members might have. These volunteers will be used in the weeks leading up to the event.

Set-up volunteers

Assist with the set-up of this amazing exhibit, including The Wall. Approximately 30 volunteers are needed from 8 a.m. to noon Thursday, Sept. 30.

Singers, re-actors and instrumentalists

The National Anthem, Taps and reenactments will be performed at various ceremonies. Auditions are requested.

Sunday worship service greeters

Volunteers are needed to hand out event programs, greet guests and help visitors to their seats from 9 to 11 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 3.