Pack engineers split of first two matches in Phoenix

Number-two singles player Julie Wainwright was nearly able to come away undefeated in the ThunderWolves’ first two matches of play in Phoenix, winning three matches in doubles and singles play on Thursday and Friday.

Wainwright scored a 6-3, 7-2 victory over Midwestern State’s Collean Kinser, the only ThunderWolf to gain a victory in an eight matches to one loss to a highly-regarded Midwestern State team. Wainwright and teammate Jamie Raun lost a slim 8-5 match in doubles play against Midwestern State.

Wainwright was able to capture a match in three sets in the team’s early match with Dixie State, scoring a 7-6(5), 1-6, 6-3 win over Lydia Hayes as the ThunderWolves earned a five matches to four win over the Lady Rebels. Wainwright and Raun also won their doubles match by a 9-7 mark.

“We’re really impressed with how Julie, and our team as a whole, played,” Pack coach Tom Durham said. “It was huge for her to get that win, especially against Midwestern State. Our players were able to score a good amount of points against some really good teams.”

Aside from an 8-0 doubles loss to Dixie State, Pack tennis players managed to score points in each set. They split the singles matches while winning two of three in doubles play.

The ThunderWolves will continue play in Phoenix Saturday against conference foe Western New Mexico.