ThunderWolves face stiff competition in trip to Phoenix

Though wins weren’t easy to come by, the CSU-Pueblo men’s tennis team were taking solace in the fact that they were getting their licks in against some of the nation’s best, getting shut out by Sonoma State tenth-ranked Abilene Christian in competitions held here Friday.

The ThunderWolves lost all nine matches against Abilene Christian, and then lost 5-0 to Sonoma State, with the final four singles matches being rained out. Of those singles matches, Pack tennis players were in the lead in three of them when the game was called – number-one singles player Ricardo Oaxaca, number-two Beau Fresquez, and number-three Kyle Eades.

Though the matches did provide its struggles, it was a good workout for the players, coach Tom Durham said.

“We were able to win a few sets against one of the top teams in the country (Abilene Christian), and we were happy that we were able to do that,” Durham said. “I just wish our matches against Sonoma weren’t rained out, because we had good chances to win against one of the top teams in the country.”

The ThunderWolves will continue in Phoenix Saturday when they take on conference foe Western New Mexico.