The man behind the voice of Rev 89’s sports director

bobbybonds.jpg As a kid growing up watching sports, Bobby Bonds said he’s always had a knack for knowing the right thing to say before the sportscaster could. Now as the Rev 89 sports director, Bonds gets to practice that talent.

The radio station covers mostly Pueblo high school football games, something Bonds said he was very exciting about doing, being a former East High School football player. Rev 89 has also begun covering some CSU-Pueblo baseball games. Bonds says they would love to get into covering more CSU-Pueblo sports in the future.

After graduating from East High School in 2005, Bonds, a Pueblo native, came to CSU-Pueblo and knew that broadcasting was right up his alley. He joined the Rev 89 staff and although he says he was a little nervous at first talking about music and different artists, he’s now confident in his knowledge of sports and feels that he can speak naturally about it.

At first Bonds said he would try to change the way that his voice sounded to make it more of a radio voice and would even listen to his on air recordings to see how he sounded but now he thinks that he does his best when he can show his own personality and his own love for sports broadcasting.

And people seem to really respond to that. Bonds says that at his job he will sometimes have customers recognize his voice or ask him where they know him from. He says it’s more common for younger kids to recognize him just by his voice, because that is probably Rev’s primary audience.

Now Bonds does sports news updates every Monday, Wednesday and Friday on Rev and also hosts The Rundown every Wednesday at 7:00pm where he and about five other Rev 89 D.J.’s take turns in discussing issues in sports.

Bonds has had the privilege of covering the Pueblo West 4A State Championship Football game recently. He said that it was probably the most exciting game he’s ever broadcasted at because the teams played until the very last minute. He says that this is his most memorable game to cover also because it was at Invesco Field at Mile High, something he says he would love to do again.

Bonds said he hopes to be graduating in a couple years but doesn’t want to rush it. He hopes to get all the experience he can in this field before going out and trying to do something else. And Rev seems to be the right place to do that right now.

He said that anything in sports broadcasting would be ideal for him in the future, either radio or television, but would also be happy doing anything that involved sports, even if it was behind the scenes. He also is willing to travel where the job takes him, but would love to end up in a bigger city like Denver.

View Comments (1)