Art show showcases work of 31 students

By Spencer Allenback

The creative works of 31 students were featured at the annual Student Art Show held Friday in the Fine Arts Gallery of the Capps Capozzolo Academic Center for the Arts at CSU-Pueblo.

Some students entered more than one work of art which gave the show 40 to 50 pieces to showcase for the public. The show contained paintings, pottery and many other types of art.

The Student Art Show in the Fine Arts Gallery at CSU-Pueblo. Photo by Ye Ming.
Robert Bubp, a professor from Wichita State University, judged the show. Bubp, who has been with the university seven years and enjoys all aspects of art, was invited to judge the show by one of his former student who now attends CSU-Pueblo. It was the third art show Bubp has judged, and it was first show in Colorado.

“I like it here. The weather is better than in Wichita,” Bubp said.

Christine Wolgram, a graphic design major, entered a couple of paintings into the show. One of Wolgram’s abstract paintings was bright in color and boasted a smoky feel. Brenda Maytum entered a couple ceramic pieces and used blue and light brown colors. The trees and landscapes intertwined in her bowls gave the pottery and outdoor theme.

Aaron Fanning, a junior and the president of the art club, entered four paintings in to the show. One was a still-life painting that emphasized half a cow’s skull, which Fanning found at the Pueblo reservoir.

“I get my inspiration from anywhere I can, Fanning said. “Artists can get their inspiration from anywhere,” Bubp said.

“Another painting I did started out as landscape, but then took the shape of a human,” Fanning said. The painting has a dark colored theme and a brightly colored human figure entwined within the work.

“There was some cool stuff in the show,” said Marcus Hunter, a senior majoring in mass communications. “I never took the time to look at art before, but you have a deeper respect for these people when you see how creative they are.”

All students were welcome to look at the art and some pieces can still be seen in the Fine Arts Gallery.

The artists had the choice to sell their art, and there was a price list the artist could get on. If they were the voted best in show by the public, it was to go to the highest bidder. Best in show, first, second, third and honorable mention were the prizes chosen by the judge.

“All the work was very good,” Bubp said. “The ones that stood out to me were the ones I chose.”

Best in show went to Mike Strescino with his painting, “Sinking up.” First place went to Daniel Vigil with his “Untitled” piece. Maria Hughes took second with her woven branch piece. Christine Walgram placed third and honorable mention was given to Gillian Mar.

“All the students should feel a high level of accomplishment.” Bubp said.