Distinguished Speaker Series line-up announced

By Nikki Martinez

[email protected]

The third year of the Distinguished Speakers series, sponsored by CSU-Pueblo, will begin this fall semester and will feature two Olympic speakers, an actor and a businessman.

The chosen speakers have contributed to current thought in social or political activities and the arts and sciences, and they have distinguished themselves in their fields, according to a news release on the CSU-Pueblo website.

Bruce Jenner, an Olympian, will be the first speaker of the series. Jenner, who broke the world record by scoring 8,634 points in the decathlon at the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games, will speak August 17 at 4 p.m., in the Massari Arena.

Jenner has appeared on the cover of Wheaties cereal boxes in 1976 and is currently a cast member of “Meet the Kardashians,” an E! Channel reality TV show that documents the lives of the Kardashian and Jenner families.

Jeremy Bloom, a freestyle mogul skier who was a three-time World Cup champion, two-time Olympian and 11- time World Cup medalist, will speak September 7 at 7 p.m., in the Occhiato University Center Ballroom.

Bloom is also the founder of the Wish of a Lifetime Foundation, which grants lifelong wishes to the older generation who are at least 80 years old. He is scheduled to speak on his athletic, business and philanthropist efforts.

Edward James Olmos, an actor who has appeared in Latino-inspired movies such as “Zoot Suit,” “Stand and Deliver” and “Selena,” will speak September 20 at 7 p.m., in the OUC Ballroom.

Among being named the nation’s most influential Hispanic-American by “Hispanic Magazine,” Olmos is also a community activist and director of the HBO show “Walkout,” a drama that details the true story of a group of Latino students who staged a walkout in 1968 to protest injustices in the East Los Angeles high school systems.

The final speaker of the series for the fall semester will be Steve Dealph, who works in corporate organization development for Warner Bros. Entertainment in Los Angeles.  The organization helps individuals and groups become more effective and more engaged in the work they do.

Before joining the organization, Dealph spent almost 20 years in higher education supporting students and organizations to become more effective and engaged. He has received numerous awards for his service to higher education. Dealph is scheduled to speak November 9 at 7 p.m., in the OUC Ballroom.

The Distinguished Speakers series was made possible using student fees and is therefore open to students and community members for free, on a first-come, first-served basis.

For more information regarding the Distinguished Speakers series or for an updated schedule, contact the CSU-Pueblo’s Office of Student Affairs at 719-549-2687, or visit www.colostate-pueblo.edu/studentactivities.