ThunderWolves lose last pre-season game

CSU-Pueblo men’s soccer team ended their pre-season with a disappointing 2-1 loss to Colorado College, Sept. 2.

The game started out sluggish, both teams showed pre-season form by making multiple unforced errors and mental mistakes.  The teams seemed to shake off their rust 20 minutes in, especially the ThunderWolves.  They increased their pressure, building a wall around the Tigers in the final minutes of the first period, but they failed to score.

The first period ended with the teams tied 0-0. However, the second began with a goal by Tiger forward Daniel Wright.  Wright, on the receiving end of some intricate combination passing through the mid-field, was one-on-one with ThunderWolves senior keeper Jacob Blum. Wright tapped the ball in for the goal.

The rest of the second period dragged on and neither team scored another goal.

Both teams tried frantically to make a goal throughout the third period. The ThunderWolves picked up the physical and tactical play, pressing the Tigers back. CSU-Pueblo forward Ryan Hunter used his speed to create a chance on the edge of the penalty area, but was unsuccessful.

The ThunderWolves kept pressing and with seven minutes left in the match, sophomore mid-fielder Brandon Herre chipped a beauty across the field to fellow mid-fielder Chad Smith who calmly controlled the ball. Smith slotted it past the goalkeeper, tying the score 1-1.

With the momentum on their sides, the ThunderWolves created the chance for a corner kick but forward Robert Kinsey had his head-attempt saved off the line by a Tiger defender.

The match was fought evenly after that point and looked to be over, but with 1:03 left in the game, Colorado College forward Brandon Ogilvie intercepted an errant pass from a CSU-Pueblo defender and bent a beautiful shot around Blum. The ThunderWolves pressed forward for the last minute but were unable to kick a goal.

The ThunderWolves opened the season Sept. 4 against Dixie State, at Grand Canyon University.

View Comments (1)