Health clinic offers campus low-cost medical care

CSU-Pueblo’s Student Health Services provides students, staff and faculty with various medical care services on campus five days a week.

The clinic, located in the Occhiato University Center, is open Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

“Student Health functions similarly to the standard doctor’s office,” said Carlotta Fendrich, the director of SHS. “We do the same thing that your family doctor does.”

SHS’s mission is to provide the highest quality health care to keep students at peak physical health while they are attending CSU-Pueblo, Fendrich said.

“The mission of the Colorado State University-Pueblo Student Health Services department is to help each student achieve maximum physical health, so that they each may participate fully in the educational and personal growth opportunities offered by the university,” Fendrich said.

Some of these services include the treatment of acute and non-emergent illness such as sinusitis and asthma, as well as minor emergencies, including joint sprains and strains, she said.

SHS is also responsible for maintaining the student’s diseases immunization records, which are shots required to enroll at CSU-Pueblo by state law, Fendrich said. Immunization exemption forms may also be filled out at the SHS clinic.

Along with primary care services, SHS is active in wellness and disease prevention outreach programs, she said.

“We do a number of wellness and disease prevention programs, anxiety and depression, STD prevention, abstinence, contraception, stress management, sexual assault awareness and prevention, et cetera,” Fendrich said.

SHS is funded entirely by the student health fees, which are found on every CSU-Pueblo student’s bill. This means students do not need insurance to be seen.

“There is no charge for an appointment to see the medical provider,” Fendrich said. “However, students may incur charges related to lab work, medication or a physical examination.”

Enrollment status does not affect the cost of these additional fees, which can be paid by cash, check or credit card.

All students enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours are eligible for insurance provided by the university, according to CSU-Pueblo’s website.

To help keep costs low for students, SHS has an on-site pharmacy that carries medication like antibiotics and birth control, with costs starting at $4.

Two full-time nurse practitioners, including Fendrich, one part-time nurse practitioner, one part-time registered nurse and two health care technicians, who are both certified phlebotomists, make up the staff at SHS.

“All of the nurse practitioners have prescriptive authority and DEA certifications in good standing. Therefore, we can write prescriptions for medicines that we may not carry in our pharmacy,” Fendrich said.

SHS is open to all staff, faculty and students, including those who live off campus, on a non-discriminatory basis.

“All activities and programs offered by SHS operate to assure a non-judgmental environment and sensitivity to individuals with disabilities and those representing diverse cultural, racial, religious, gender or sexual orientation groups,” Fendrich said.

For more information, students may contact SHS at 719- 549-2830, or via e-mail at [email protected].

View Comments (1)