Volleyball team wins homecoming match

The CSU-Pueblo women’s volleyball team took down the Western New Mexico University Mustangs in three of five matches Saturday, Oct. 8, for their homecoming game. 

Alea Wildman making a kill for CSU-Pueblo. Photo by Milly Spady.

The ThunderWolves started off strong, keeping their enthusiasm high even when the ThunderWolves were holding on to a close 21-19 lead. Two errors coming from the Mustangs offense made the ThunderWolves score jump, including a huge double block from sophomore Kacy Griffin and senior Bernadette Pitre. The Thunderwolves won the first match 25-23.

During the second match, the Mustangs amped up their motivation, beating the Thunderwolves 25-18. The third match was a closer game but the ThunderWolves were still defeated 25-22. In the fourth game the lady Thunderwolves pulled out of their rut and beat the Mustangs in nail biter, 25-23.

The fifth match had the fans cheering in the stands as ThunderWolves had a four point lead on the Mustangs in the middle of the game, with the score at 10-6. The lady ThunderWolves let the Mustangs score only three more points before the game was over. The five needed points were scored by the ThunderWolves, to end the game 15-9.

Throughout the homecoming game, the lady ThunderWolves made 35 errors in service, blocking and other general mistakes. They also had a hitting percentage of .224, with 16 kills both by seniors Bernadette Pitre and Janae Heisers. Pitre was also the high scorer, scoring 18 points for the ThunderWolves. Senior Ashley Michel put 33 digs in the book, the highest for both teams of the night.

Since the ThunderWolves won against the Mustangs, this puts them in first place in the Western Division, with a 4-1 record in conference play, 8-5 being their record as a whole for this season.