Pack split, cling to final playoff spot

Jon Proesl threw out a runner at the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning to allow Colorado State Univeristy-Pueblo to split a Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference baseball doubleheader with New Mexico Highlands on Sunday.

Proesl, who homered and drove in two runs, led the Pack to a 5-4 win in the nightcap. Highlands won the opener 5-3. The teams ended up splitting the four-game series, 2-2.

Highlands (21-22 overall, 9-19 RMAC) threatened to tie the game in the seventh before Proesl gunned down pinch runner Kevin Ayers on the plate on Joe Mulroy’s single into right field. The play made a winner of Pack starter Matt Davitt (3-3), who threw five solid innings, allowing three runs. Chris Garcia threw the final two innings.

The split enabled CSU-Pueblo (20-22, 11-17) to keep hold of the No. 6 spot in the RMAC standings. The top six teams qualify for the postseason RMAC Tournament.

The ThunderWolves will remain on the road for another huge series, this time at Nebraska-Kearney next weekend for a four-game series with the Lopers, starting Friday at 5 p.m. MST.