CSU-Pueblo athletics helps St. Mary-Corwin

When CSU-Pueblo athletes stepped onto the field or court during the last week of October, there was more than just the game on the line.

St. Mary-Corwin CEO Rob Ryder speaks with CSU-Pueblo athletes after they presented him a check for $9,100. Photo courtesy of the Pueblo Chieftain's Chris McLean.

October was Breast Cancer Awareness Month and ThunderWolves football and volleyball wanted to do their part to help.  Several athletes were able to present a check for $9,100 to St. Mary-Corwin’s CEO Rob Ryder Nov. 3, on behalf of CSU-Pueblo athletes, coaches, fans and the community who came out and supported a great cause. 

During the “Pink Out” football game against Colorado Mesa, Oct. 22, fans could make a pledge per CSU-Pueblo point scored. The pledge increments ranged from $1 to $100 per point, and the money raised was donated to St. Mary-Corwin Medical Center’s campaign for a Breast Center of Excellence. The ThunderWolves beat the Mavericks that day 27-7.

“We’ve got an environment where we get 6,000 to 7,000 people there to promote a cause like this and we’re proud to be a part of it,” head coach John Wristen said.

As part of the event, Wristen was able to secure some pink equipment that his players wore during the game.

“We had guys fighting over the pink shoes,” he said. “Seriously, this is something the kids take a lot of pride in.”

The women’s volleyball team hosted a “Block Out Breast Cancer” game when they played Western State, Oct. 25.  Half of the money earned from admissions was also donated to the Breast Center of Excellence.  Rochelle Kelly DeVargas, director of Marketing at St. Mary-Corwin and a breast cancer survivor, served as the honorary coach.