Posters promote pride

CSU-Pueblo students from Professor Jackie Stroud’s women’s studies class showed off their creative side Dec. 2, with a poster session.

Jacqueline Stroud, professor of women studies, talks to her students at the poster session. Photo by Ye Ming.

“It’s really great to see the student’s talents outside of the classroom and not in a paper,” Stroud said.

The students in the women’s studies 100 class created posters to go with the theme “Socially Responsible.” The posters were based on anyone who had proven themselves as socially responsible in either dealing with women’s suffrage or helping with women’s issues throughout history.

Posters on topics from foot binding to the NFL trying to help find a cure for breast cancer circled the room, as well as posters on women who have made an impact on the world.

“I’m always surprised to see what students will do their posters on, who inspires them, what issues excite them,” Stroud said.

The poster session, hosted by the Women’s Studies Honor Society, began last fall and has continued on into this fall. The posters from the recent poster session will be combined with the posters from the women’s studies classes from the spring to create an even bigger showing.

Some posters from the complete session will be chosen to represent the project at a scholarship dinner during the end of this spring semester.

Students look at posters made by their peers. Photo by Ye Ming.

Also in the upcoming spring semester, Stroud will be teaching two women’s studies classes, which will also be making posters for the sessions. So that will be an additional 60 posters to go with the 30 from this semester.

Her favorite part of the poster session is people talking about what they wouldn’t normally talk about when it comes to women studies, Stroud said, and it creates awareness.

“It’s very informative for people who don’t know who the different women are and what differences they have made,” said Melissa Smart, a sophomore who is a psychology major. Smart was also a contributor to this falls poster secession.

The poster session was held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and had steady groups of people coming in and out of the room the whole time. Refreshments were also served, including a cake that celebrated the new women’s studies sorority, TRIOTA.