CSU-Pueblo ThunderWolves soar over Eagles

The CSU-Pueblo women’s basketball team came out strong in their victory against the Chadron State Eagles Jan. 20, winning the game 61-49.  The win puts the ThunderWolves’ record at 13-3 and 10-2 in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference.

The Pack started strong in the first half with a commanding 12-point lead.  Chadron made an impressive comeback putting them within 3 points by the end of the first half.

In the second half, The Pack had to bring a stop to the Eagles’ momentum.  They managed to slow their momentum down, and CSU-Pueblo put Laurel Kearsley in the paint and passing her the ball helped the team during Friday’s win, head coach Kip Drown said.

The Pack’s defense played competitively and was able to hold the Eagles to 49 points.

“Any time you give up only 49 points, you know you’re doing good defensively,” Drown said.  The pack gave up 10 turnovers in the entire game.

The top scorer for the Pack was junior Laurel Kearsley with 17 points.  Playing post for the Pack, Kearsley towered over the Eagles throughout the game and was commanding with the ball.

“My team is unselfish and I owe all the credit to them,” Kearsley said.

CSU-Pueblo will take on Nebraska-Kearney tonight, Jan. 21, at the Massari Arena.